We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best beach area

sandy, utah
Level Contributor
1,511 posts
12 reviews
12 helpful votes
Best beach area
Save

We're staying at the Newton Hotel as part of a CIE tour in August. I'm looking for things to do before dinner. It looks like it's only about a l/2 mile walk from the hotel to the water near the golf course. Does that have a nice area for walking/views or is there a better place I should go?

5 replies to this topic
East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
13,493 posts
175 reviews
144 helpful votes
1. Re: Best beach area
Save

The beaches at Nairn are beautiful and there is a pretty little marina with a pier and some information boards. Over the river at the harbour entrance by the bridge and caravan park there is another huge beach. It's probably your best bet for a pre dinner walk. You can walk either left or right from the hotel on getting to the beach if it's the one I'm thinking of but to the right takes you to the marina and pier if you are exiting from the sea facing side of the hotel. Staff will keep you right if you are not sure.

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/moray/nairn-forres.shtml

You will see other walks mentioning Nairn here but they are probably too far for a pre dinner stroll although you could take a short walk up river to the right when crossing the bridge at the harbour and return the same way.

Have a great holiday! We often visited Nairn from home in Speyside, especially during the winter months.

Edited: 4 years ago
Nairn, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
3 helpful votes
2. Re: Best beach area
Save

As you say, nice walk to sea past the Golf View Hotel. Turn right along the promenade beside the West and Central beaches. Lovely views across the Moray Firth ending up at the harbour. If you have time, walk up the river to the town centre and back down Seabank road. Around an hour.

sandy, utah
Level Contributor
1,511 posts
12 reviews
12 helpful votes
3. Re: Best beach area
Save

Thanks for the replies. Will I be able to see any dolphins or seals from the shore? If I waited until after dinner for the beach walk, what are the sunsets like? I really like to take pictures. I also just saw a picture of the Old Parish Church which looks lovely from the outside.

East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
13,493 posts
175 reviews
144 helpful votes
4. Re: Best beach area
Save

Yes we have seen dolphins from the end of the pier, I'm sure Fair-Jane, being local will be able to give you more information, but there are obviously dolphins in the area because one of the best land based dolphin watching sites in the UK ( maybe even the world! ) is at Chanonry Point just along the Moray Firth ( see map just left of Nairn) Seals I'm not sure about but there are plenty about that's for sure.

http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/usmapindexes/northern.html

If you see seabirds collecting out on the water, that often means a shoal of fish gathering, and dolphins may be there too if you are lucky! The sunsets are like sunsets anywhere but I always think sunsets in Scotland are better in winter than in summer.

Netanya, Israel
Level Contributor
16,731 posts
28 reviews
52 helpful votes
5. Re: Best beach area
Save

The seaside promenade in Nairn is lovely. We didn't see any dolphins or seals though.

Yuri.

Reply to: Best beach area
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Nairn
Recent Conversations
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Ireland. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.