We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jacobite Steam Train - Return time to Fort William

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
26 posts
10 reviews
4 helpful votes
Jacobite Steam Train - Return time to Fort William

Hi Everyone,

I'm doing the Jacobite Steam train in August next year and I'm wondering if anyone knows approximately what time it gets back to Fort William.

I've checked the website but it's currently being updated with the 2019 dates etc so it doesn't tell me.

I hoping to drive part of the way to Portree once I complete the return journey.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Kylie

16 replies to this topic
Front Royal...
Level Contributor
122 posts
53 reviews
8 helpful votes
1. Re: Jacobite Steam Train - Return time to Fort William

I'm gonna toss a wrench in the gears here, you can do it one way, and there is ample parking in Mallaig.

The OW is only a marginal price lower than the RT, but the ride is basically the same out and back.

What I'd suggest doing is drop off your car in mallaig, take the scotrail to FW, then take the Jacobite OW, then hop the ferry and don't rush your day due to running it back.

However the general consensus on these forums seems to be the jacobite is a waste of money.

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
13,994 posts
14 reviews
32 helpful votes
2. Re: Jacobite Steam Train - Return time to Fort William

In high season (August) there are two Trips.

The morning one leaves Ft William at 10:15.

It returns to Ft William roughly at 15:15, then it’s a quick run around of the Locomotive for the Afternoon Trip around 15:30-45, returning at around 19:30.

The previous suggestion of taking your car to Mallaig, coming back on the ScotRail Train and then taking the Jacobite back to Mallaig is only possible if the ScotRail timings will work, and more importantly, if you can catch a Ferry as well!

Edited: 16 November 2018, 01:48
London
Level Contributor
12,437 posts
70 reviews
20 helpful votes
3. Re: Jacobite Steam Train - Return time to Fort William

The Jacobite is hugely successful and often sells out - not something associated with 'a waste of money'. What is true is that if you're only interested in the scenery then the regular train does the same route for a much lower fare. But if you're interested in steam trains and / or Harry Potter then stick with the Jacobite.

The timetable has been exactly the same for many years - no reason to think 2019 times won't be identical to previous years,

Level Contributor
4,132 posts
101 reviews
52 helpful votes
4. Re: Jacobite Steam Train - Return time to Fort William

The Jacobite is hugely successful and often sells out - not something associated with 'a waste of money'.

---

I disagree. It's a more expensive, less regular, less convenient way of seeing exactly the same thing you see from the ScotRail service.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
26 posts
10 reviews
4 helpful votes
5. Re: Jacobite Steam Train - Return time to Fort William

We are huge Harry Potter fans and doing the entire return journey isn't a question. We may never get back to Scotland, so we're gonna do it while we are there. If the train gets back to Fort William at about 3:30, I have no problem then driving onto Portree to pick up an Isle of Skye tour.

Thanks everyone for your feedback and suggestions!

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
13,994 posts
14 reviews
32 helpful votes
6. Re: Jacobite Steam Train - Return time to Fort William

As you are Harry Potter fans, you do know that the Train used is NOT the one used in the Movie!

Also the “highlight” of the trip is the train stopping on the Glenfinnan Viaduct.

It only does that on the outer leg from Ft William to Mallaig, the return journey you propose is actually quite uneventful as the train just hares it back to Ft William as quick as possible.

If you only do it in one direction, then the outer trip is the more interesting.

Front Royal...
Level Contributor
122 posts
53 reviews
8 helpful votes
7. Re: Jacobite Steam Train - Return time to Fort William

To clarify:

I was thinking you might have been wanting to take the car ferry over from Mallaig to Armadale and then drive up to Portree there. I was offering advice that could save you some time if need be.

I personally don't think its a waste, We did do it one way after an overnight to retrieve our car, and driving the road to the isles allows you to see the viaduct from the ground level. It is a beautiful drive.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
75,960 posts
478 reviews
376 helpful votes
8. Re: Jacobite Steam Train - Return time to Fort William

Whether the Jacobite is a waste of money or not is highly subjective. Steam engine fans will probably enjoy it, as will Harry Potter fans. But i suspect that most of the passengers are going to be one off overseas tourists, who will see it as something they should do, so I;m not sure that it being profitable and selling out is of that much relevance to whether individuals will consider it a good use of their time and cash or not.

All I can really say is if you think you will enjoy the steam train ride in 1960's carriages do it, but if you just want to see scenery, take the Scotrail train instead and save money.

Level Contributor
4,132 posts
101 reviews
52 helpful votes
9. Re: Jacobite Steam Train - Return time to Fort William

Steam engine fans will probably enjoy it, as will Harry Potter fans

---

I'd consider myself both, and I would not recommend it.

I would suggest get the normal ScotRail get off at Glenfinnan and walk down from the station then take a photo of the Jacobite on the viaduct. Far more memorable

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
75,960 posts
478 reviews
376 helpful votes
10. Re: Jacobite Steam Train - Return time to Fort William

I agree with you, GEJP, but I'm sure that there are some who won't!

Reply to: Jacobite Steam Train - Return time to Fort William
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted