We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Tour From Edinburgh to St. Andrews, Forth Bridge,

GTA
Level Contributor
45 posts
65 reviews
Best Tour From Edinburgh to St. Andrews, Forth Bridge,

Good Evening,

My wife and I are visiting Glasgow and thinking of a day trip out of Edinburgh to see St. Andrews, the Forth Bridge, and the fishing villages. We've done some research already but would appreciate other opinions. Many thanks.

6 replies to this topic
Glasgow
Level Contributor
4,185 posts
13 reviews
1. Re: Best Tour From Edinburgh to St. Andrews, Forth Bridge,

As mentioned on the other thread,Rabbies and Timberbush get good reviews.

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
13,684 posts
14 reviews
2. Re: Best Tour From Edinburgh to St. Andrews, Forth Bridge,

Stagecoach X24 from Buchanan Bus Station in Glasgow will take you direct to St Andrews, takes about 2 hours.

It won’t go via the Forth Bridge, nor does it go via the Fishing Villages.

Neither will a Bus or Train from Edinburgh will take you through the Fishing Villages.

For this you would need the likes of Rabbies or Timberbush Day Tour.

Check their websites, but I’m pretty sure they only depart from Edinburgh (being on the same side of the Country)!

In that case you would take a train from Glasgow to Edinburgh (45 mins) that gets you into Edinburgh in time to meet up with the Tour which starts around 9am

East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
11,491 posts
181 reviews
3. Re: Best Tour From Edinburgh to St. Andrews, Forth Bridge,

You can get the X24 as mentioned above. You can then catch the 95 Coastliner from St.Andrews to Elie which with a Day rider ticket will allow you to get off and on to explore Crail, Anstruther, Pittenweem, St.Monans and Elie. You don't say what time of year you are thinking of doing this trip. If it's winter or early Spring I would suggest an organised tour such as Rabbie's as suggested. If it's summer, with long daylight hours and you can get an early start you can do it all by public bus. I live in the East Neuk so if you need more information about what to see and do, just ask.

Mind you, you are saying you are leaving from Edinburgh but visiting Glasgow?

Edited: 14 December 2017, 18:55
GTA
Level Contributor
45 posts
65 reviews
4. Re: Best Tour From Edinburgh to St. Andrews, Forth Bridge,

Thank you kenko92 and madscotsman115, I tend to agree with your assessment of the two tour groups. woodybark, we're coming in the second week of May, so the tour group is likely best, however as we do stop in Anstruther, are the fish and chips at Anstruther Fish Bar as can't miss as they say?

East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
11,491 posts
181 reviews
5. Re: Best Tour From Edinburgh to St. Andrews, Forth Bridge,

I haven't eaten Fish and Chips from that particular establishment for years. The last fish and chips I ate recently was from Cromars in St.Andrews....it was excellent. Locally, we would get our fish and chips from Murray's mobile van which trundles around the East Neuk villages, summer and winter. However the restaurant in Anstruther has won many awards so I'm sure you won't be disappointed, especially if it's a nice day/ evening and you can sit outside overlooking the harbour.

If you need any more help with recommendations for the East Neuk area, I will be happy to help.

GTA
Level Contributor
45 posts
65 reviews
6. Re: Best Tour From Edinburgh to St. Andrews, Forth Bridge,

Thank you woodybark, very much appreciated.

Reply to: Best Tour From Edinburgh to St. Andrews, Forth Bridge,
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted