We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Time in Edinburgh

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
50 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
First Time in Edinburgh

I have just booked flights and Hotel for 3 days in October. We will be staying in the Apex European Hotel. Reviews seem quite good but I have noticed it is about a 20 minute walk from the City Centre is it OK to walk about in this area ?

Also wanted to know if there is anything going on around the 7th-10th October that we should do while in Edinburgh ?

Thank you in advice :)

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,132 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Time in Edinburgh

This hotel is located in the Grassmarket which is a 5 minute walk from the Royal Mile which is the centre of the tourist area. The main shopping areas are Princes St and George St which are about 15-20 minute walk (up and down hill). The Grassmarket is full of pubs restaurants and hotels, so always busy and very safe, but can get a bit noisy at weekend nights.

Check www.list.co.uk for events listings for your dates. I notice that the Oktoberfest is on towards the end of your dates http://www.edinburgh-oktoberfest.co.uk/

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
588 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Time in Edinburgh

Just for information the Apex European is at Haymarket NOT the Grassmarket.

It's still OK to walk about there and easily accessible into the city centre. Please be aware it is in the heart of the tram works that Edinburgh is currently enduring - so probably not very quiet!

Edited: 29 August 2013, 11:42
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
622 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Time in Edinburgh

No works near this hotel at the moment. It will be quiet enoough and very safe. 10 minute walk east to Princes Street

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,132 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Time in Edinburgh

Oops! Sorry... Too many Apex in this city now!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
50 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Time in Edinburgh

Thank you everyone for your responses ! Glad to know it's still quite central we don't mind a walk. Very much looking forward to our visit :)

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Time in Edinburgh

The airport bus goes right by the Apex on its way to Princes Street. You should be able to get off fairly nearby. Best to ask the bus driver because, who knows, the bus may change route due to the changing diversions for the Tram works.

And if you're feeling trauchled at the end of a day's sighseeing, there are other buses in the area. Edinburgh's buses are good.

lothianbuses.com/timetables-tickets-maps

Whats on in Edinburgh. Use The List.

I've done the 'where' you can do the when to get daily lists. Most things get listed.

http://www.list.co.uk/events/where:edinburgh/

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
50 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First Time in Edinburgh

I've just found a really good deal on The Place Hotel. I was just wondering is it a more central Hotel or is this among the tram works ?

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,132 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First Time in Edinburgh

York place is a more central location and I think the tramworks are finishing up around there now, but looking at the comments on the noise in the recent reviews you should pick up the phone and check with them directly. tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g186525-d2354…

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
103 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First Time in Edinburgh

Hi - I had not actually heard of the Place so just looked at the mixed reviews on this site - the location is certainly very good for sightseeing / shopping and there are a lot of good eating/ drinking places nearby - top of Leith walk and down Rodney street. Haymarket does have some eating options if you don't want to go back to town but they are more limited.I always need a rest before heading out in the evening , but Im old !

There are tramworks in York Place as well as Haymarket, but I think they would be less disruptive to a visitor. The Apex might be a bit nicer/ friendlier but if it were me I might take the risk and shift to the Place for the location, if the cost etc suits. Have fun.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
50 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First Time in Edinburgh

Thank you for the quick response ! I might just stick with the Apex then as I would not be happy without a good nights sleep and I want to be sure to be able to enjoy all that Edinburgh has to offer :)