We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation from Edinburgh Airport to Grassmarket

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,388 posts
373 reviews
Save Topic
Transportation from Edinburgh Airport to Grassmarket

Does any bus company (Airlink or Lothian) stop near Grassmarket (Apex International) on route from the airport?

I don't mind walking for 5 minutes from the bus stop to the hotel but any more than that and I will be taking a taxi.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
36,152 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation from Edinburgh Airport to Grassmarket

Hi Bryno, The Airlink bus stops at Waverley so not really much good to get to the Grassmarket. The 35 bus from the airport goes all around the houses and wil ltake about 50 mins to get to, well actually not that close either.

You could take the Airlink bus then taxi from Waverley to your hotel. Personally I'd just take a taxi all the way since the bus will be 7 quid and a taxi about a fiver. Taxi from the airport around 20 quid.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,674 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation from Edinburgh Airport to Grassmarket

35 bus stops on Forest Road & it's a short walk down Candlemaker Row into the Grassmarket

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,763 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation from Edinburgh Airport to Grassmarket

Hi,

The Airlink Bus goes to Waverley Bridge, which is a 10-15 minute walk to Grassmarket, various routes, but all involve a big uphill and a big downhill.

The Number 35 Lothian bus from the Airport could get you within a 5 minute walk, by getting off either on Forrest Road and walking down Candlemaker Row, or by getting of on Lauriston Place and walking through a little hidden route to the west side of Heriot's School (doesn't show it as connected on Google maps, but there is a walkway).

The Number 35 bus takes about 45 minutes from the airport to those places, and costs £1.20 single (buy the ticket on the bus, exact change required). If you were planning to use Lothian buses later in the same day, it would be worthwhile buying a £3 day ticket, enabling unlimited use on Lothian buses (again, buy on the bus, and exact change required).

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,388 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation from Edinburgh Airport to Grassmarket

Thanks all. I'll check out both options.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,674 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation from Edinburgh Airport to Grassmarket

One final option, 35 to Morrison Street then 2 into the Grassmarket

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Oban
Level Contributor
2,444 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transportation from Edinburgh Airport to Grassmarket

Good idea, Alanrow. I'd make one little improvement - take the 35 to the Gyle Centre, and change onto the number 2 there. Very easy place to change, and the 2 takes a more direct route into the centre than the 35. It will take you practically to the door of the Apex.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,763 posts
291 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transportation from Edinburgh Airport to Grassmarket

Last year on the hottest day of the year I walked, complete with wheely suitcase and a bottle of water, from Waverley station to my hotel in the Grassmarket. I took my time and it was rather pleasant. If the weather is good, you don't have too many bags, and are fit and healthy, then the walk is a great way to start your visit.

8. Re: Transportation from Edinburgh Airport to Grassmarket

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 January 2011, 06:17