We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Location for Edinburgh Public Transport

Australia
Level Contributor
143 posts
244 reviews
Best Location for Edinburgh Public Transport

Hello.

I have previoysly visited Edinburgh as a tourist however this trip (in January) is to find accommodation for study at Edinburgh Uni.

I think New Town is closer to the public transport hub to get us around?

Any suggestions, thank you.

15 replies to this topic
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
3,185 posts
12 reviews
11. Re: Best Location for Edinburgh Public Transport

A typical Edinburgh winter day will be cold and damp rather than freezing and icy or snowy. Or cold and sunny. Or, maybe, warm and sunny ;-) OK it might snow. It sometimes does. Not that often. There are plenty charity shops and it's easy enough to pick up extra outer layers. No need to pack lots of extras.

I thought the law faculty operated out of the David Hume Tower (as least in part) so some lectures may be based around Potterrow and George Square. Given these are cheek by jowl with Old College it's an easy stroll between them. When you're in Old College have a look at the Playfair Library. It's magnificent.

Loads of places to shop and eat around the same area - Nicolson Street or Forrest Road. I recommend Elephant and Bagels on Nicolson Square, or The City Cafe, right next to the Festival Theatre, for something more substantial. Students tend to use the former.

Haddington, United...
Destination Expert
for Haddington, East Lothian
Level Contributor
6,036 posts
246 reviews
12. Re: Best Location for Edinburgh Public Transport

If the trip is to stay at a hotel while looking at Student accommodation then 10 Hill place would probably be the most central to the area you are looking. If you are looking for a budget hotel then Travelodge Cameron Toll is a 10 minute bus ride [they run every 5 minutes] or 20 minute walk to the main university area around George Square. Have you contacted the Faculty to ask them about accommodation? They will have a list of what is available & cost or those who are looking to share.

Australia
Level Contributor
143 posts
244 reviews
13. Re: Best Location for Edinburgh Public Transport

Thank you Rudyard_K_. The info about the weather is very useful. We will arrive on Jan 01 - I have been observing the weather & sunrise/ sunset times on a weather app on my phone. Although we will need to brace ourselves mentally for the reduced daylight hours, the weather appears to be similar to that which we experienced in July when we had a domestic trip to Tasmania (-5 / + 2) – we lived in our thermals & beanies.

We will definitely check out the Playfair Library. I also appreciate the food tips – my son is a bit of a foodie, although he has suddenly become aware of his finite budget when he’ll be away 😊

Australia
Level Contributor
143 posts
244 reviews
14. Re: Best Location for Edinburgh Public Transport

Thank you Mike BR. The trip is to stay at a hotel while looking at Student Accommodation. We will arrive on Jan 01 & I have booked hotel accom until Uni commences Jan 09. My son is in contact with Student Housing & also Real Estate Agents for possible private rental – student accomm is scarce mid academic year. Happy Christmas.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
186 posts
11 reviews
15. Re: Best Location for Edinburgh Public Transport

You say you will be arriving 1st January. Keep in mind that that is a pubic holiday here. Many shops and eating places will be closed. There will be a much reduced local bus service, with buses only running on the main routes. The bus from the airport to the city centre will run, but only two services per hour. Trams from the airport will run normally from about 10:00.

The following day (2nd Jan) is also a holiday, but with better public transport and more places open than on the 1st.

For more details, see: https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186…

Reply to: Best Location for Edinburgh Public Transport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted