We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wild camping

Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Wild camping

Hi, does anyone know where we can park our campervan overnight whilst visiting?

29 replies to this topic
Inverness, United...
Level Contributor
377 posts
1 review
21. Re: Wild camping

the question was, basically," where can I wild camp in my vehicle", a reasonable question indeed. The answer is that in Scotland, under the Scottish outdoor access code, that you cannot. It would be a dis-service to anyone visiting this country to tell them otherwise. Highland council apparently cannot afford to provide public toilets or empty the bins, let alone deal with the recent surge in numbers of motor caravans. It has been suggested that in some areas worst affected that "North coast 500" ltd, a private company making money from this , could perhaps contribute, but these requests appear to fall on deaf ears.

Falkirk, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
17 reviews
22. Re: Wild camping

Almost anywhere unless you need electricity, if so look up some Campsites and book in

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
24,280 posts
378 reviews
23. Re: Wild camping

“Almost anywhere”

—-

Where’s almost anywhere?

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
8,496 posts
70 reviews
24. Re: Wild camping

You can't park up overnight 'almost anywhere'. For a start, most land is private land, and you can't park on that (unless it's a car park, but even then some car parks have restrictions on overnight parking).

However, when no 21 writes 'the question was, basically," where can I wild camp in my vehicle"..... The answer is that in Scotland, under the Scottish outdoor access code, that you cannot.'

- that is technically correct, because the Outdoor Access Code does not apply to vehicles of any kind.

However, delete the reference to the Outdoor Access Code and the position is very different. There is no law in Scotland against parking overnight. You can park in public car parks, as long as you pay whatever charge applies. Some have signs saying 'No Overnight Parking', but these are only enforceable if the local authority has taken out a Traffic Regulation Order. See, for example, https://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/News/No…

But it all comes down to commonsense - you need to act with consideration for others, don't cause an obstruction or park near habitation, and, of course, deal with all waste responsibly. Otherwise you give all campervanners a bad name, which leads to the sort of negative responses which you have already had on this thread.

Welcome, and have a great trip!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
3,132 posts
12 reviews
25. Re: Wild camping

There are some places like Ayr, where the council had lots of red notices up banning overnight parking, which visitors regularly ignored. I'm thinking of the sea-front carpark near the sports centre. I was last there a few years ago and they had removed that signage and had even painted bays for motorhomes to park. Not sure of the current situation.

No matter wither in a tent or a van, you should leave the place as you find it and avoid disturbing locals. Otherwise they might build up a head of steam and let tyres down on the next campervan after you :-)

Level Contributor
662 posts
1 review
26. Re: Wild camping

Absolutely agree Rudyard..!

And to illustrate the point - it looks like the days of people being able to park-up at Portobello are numbered thanks to the actions of a few bams:

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/…

I've seen that car park suggested a couple of times on here - Ick..!

Inverness, United...
Level Contributor
377 posts
1 review
27. Re: Wild camping

Unfortunately the behaviour outlined in the link in post 26 is commonplace in the Highlands, especially since the so called "nc500" herded together large numbers of motor caravans in the same place at the same time, with an apparent reluctance to pay for campsites, some car parks have up to 10 trucks a night all summer long, thats a lot of accumulated ................. Waste. No wonder locals react "negatively",we have to live with this despite no apparent benefit to the local economy.

28. Re: Wild camping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 23 November 2018, 10:35

Inverness, United...
Level Contributor
377 posts
1 review
29. Re: Wild camping

If you are in a tent then subject to some common sense then you are truly "wild camping",but I don't think adverts for tents are appropriate here?,I'm sure most people can find a tent if they need to.

Reply to: Wild camping
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Oban
Recent Conversations