We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mull Ferry, Oban Seafood Hut Questions

United States
Level Contributor
50 posts
Mull Ferry, Oban Seafood Hut Questions

We will be arriving in early September on a Friday late morning/early afternoon from the Mull to Oban ferry. I thought we might stop at the Oban Seafood Hut to get a bite before driving a couple of hours east to our next destination- Falkirk. We will be driving off the ferry but from what I can tell the seafood hut is on the pier with limited seating and no designated parking. Is there a garage or parking close by for a quick stop in? How dependable is seating here on average as I don't want to eat in the car. Anyone been here? How important is it I reserve tickets on the Mull to Oban ferry? We might like a bit of flexibility in the time we arrive and not have to commit to a certain time as that can be stressful.

Also, I'm pressed for time on this day as we are driving from Bunessan to Falkirk and would like to also see the Kelpies and Falkirk wheel that day, if possible. I thought a quick bite in Oban would be sufficient since we will also be visiting Portree, Tobermory, Glasgow, Inverness, Mallaig, Edinburgh, etc. and I only have so much time available. However, after eating is it worth it to try to walk around and add another hour or so into the itineary? Are the shops mostly overpriced tourist souvenir places?

Many thanks!

15 replies to this topic
Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
8,623 posts
29 reviews
133 helpful votes
1. Re: Mull Ferry, Oban Seafood Hut Questions

You could park at the Tesco car park in Oban.

You must prebook the ferry as it’s usually pretty much booked up. You might get on without booking but it’s gamble.

It’s about 2 and a half hours to Falkirk so you should have time to visit the wheel and the Kelpies They’re magnificent after dark when they’re lit up.

I wouldn’t say Oban is full of tourist tat. It has an average range of shops. Some good - some not so great.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
3,258 posts
615 reviews
196 helpful votes
2. Re: Mull Ferry, Oban Seafood Hut Questions

<<Is there a garage or parking close by for a quick stop in?>>

On-street parking (if you can find a space), or the Tesco (Supermarket) car park, but a bit of a walk away. More parking to the north of the harbour too.

<<How dependable is seating here on average as I don't want to eat in the car. Anyone been here? >>

We ate on the go, eating the well-filled sandwiches as we wandered around. Alternatively, there is bench seating outside the West Coast Motors Office at the corner of Queens Park Place.

<< Are the shops mostly overpriced tourist souvenir places?>>

Oban is a working town, so actually not too many tourist shops along the front overlooking the harbour (though there is a large warehouse type establishment behind the Rail station that will certainly meet the tourist requirement!).

<<How important is it I reserve tickets on the Mull to Oban ferry? >>

Best to book a place, but if you turn up early and there is a space, Calmac are good at trying to fit you on. There is a spare lane at the Pier at Craignure, just opposite the Ferry office, where you can park up and then check with the Office if there is space on the earlier ferry.

United States
Level Contributor
50 posts
3. Re: Mull Ferry, Oban Seafood Hut Questions

I don't think a 30 minute walk to/from Tesco would be ideal. I have health limitations and we are pressed for time. If I can't find close parking, I am open to suggestions for dining that would have parking in Oban or close outside of town.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
8,623 posts
29 reviews
133 helpful votes
4. Re: Mull Ferry, Oban Seafood Hut Questions

30 minutes? Where did that come from? I think it would take me 5 minutes to walk from the Tesco carpark to the harbour

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
75,934 posts
478 reviews
376 helpful votes
5. Re: Mull Ferry, Oban Seafood Hut Questions

I can't see the walk from tesco to the harbour taking me more than 10 minutes, and I'm quite slow these days. But you might be lucky and find a parking space even closer.

United States
Level Contributor
50 posts
6. Re: Mull Ferry, Oban Seafood Hut Questions

I put Tesco and the Seafood Hut into google maps and it gave me a walking time of 15 minutes each way ;)

London, United...
Level Contributor
33,710 posts
85 reviews
104 helpful votes
7. Re: Mull Ferry, Oban Seafood Hut Questions

I think 15 minutes is an exagerration, but there's no shortage of good places to eat in Oban.

Highly rated roadside restaurants with parking include the Oyster Inn at Connel Ferry, about 5 miles north of Oban, great views of the Falls if tides are right. Plus the famous , original, Loch Fyne Oyster Bar just East of Inverary.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
8,623 posts
29 reviews
133 helpful votes
8. Re: Mull Ferry, Oban Seafood Hut Questions

Maybe 15 minutes if you walk out of the Tesco car park back along the road you drive in. However if you look on google maps, you’ll see that if you park at the north corner of the Tesco car park, there’s a lane you walk through to the main road and then you’re only a few minutes from the Harbour

Paisley, United...
Level Contributor
232 posts
6 reviews
2 helpful votes
9. Re: Mull Ferry, Oban Seafood Hut Questions

The walk from the seafood hut to the Tesco car park is definitely less than 5 minutes, I recently walked that exact route and I was carrying my shopping.

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
5,298 posts
555 reviews
565 helpful votes
10. Re: Mull Ferry, Oban Seafood Hut Questions

You could also look at the Brander Lodge or Ben Cruachan Inn in Lochawe.Never tried either of them yet for food but they get good reviews and have parking.May have to book though.

If you are going via inveraray, then the Loch Fyne Oyster bar is excellent and very attractive inside.But book.

Edited: 29 July 2018, 13:06
Reply to: Mull Ferry, Oban Seafood Hut Questions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Oban
Recent Conversations