We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mull and Iona ferries

Temecula, California
3 posts
Mull and Iona ferries

I suffer from motion sickness but really only if the water is rough. Will I have a problem on the Mull and/or Iona ferries?

4 replies to this topic
Marlow, United...
Level Contributor
5,851 posts
26 reviews
1. Re: Mull and Iona ferries

The Iona ferry can roll a bit if there is a swell but the crossing only lasts 5-10 minutes and you will be out on deck in the fresh air so I doubt it would be a problem. The Mull ferry is a fairly big boat and it's a reasonably sheltered route so it would take pretty bad weather to upset most people (and the crossing only takes 40 minutes). When are you travelling?

Temecula, California
3 posts
2. Re: Mull and Iona ferries

We are traveling in August. Would you recommend buying tickets before we leave or would the day before suffice?

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
8,541 posts
29 reviews
3. Re: Mull and Iona ferries

There are 3 ferries to Mull. The Oban to Craignure is the only one you can book in advance and it gets booked up regularly in summer. I wouldn’t risk turning up without booking. In August I’d book a couple of weeks in advance. If you go for the Lochaline or the Kilchoan ferries you can’t book in advance.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Oban
Level Contributor
3,343 posts
63 reviews
4. Re: Mull and Iona ferries

If you are taking a car you should book the Oban to Craignure ferry. If you get there earlier or later and there is space on another ferry, your ticket is still valid.

I can be prone to seasickness - I have lost my breakfast on an Islay to Kennacraig crossing and a Barra to Oban crossing - but I have never even felt remotely queasy on the Mull crossing. The majority of it is in very sheltered waters.

Reply to: Mull and Iona ferries
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Oban
Recent Conversations