We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

West coast itinerary

Winter Park, Florida
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
West coast itinerary

Hello All – Appreciate your thoughts on this basic itinerary. We will be in Scotland for eight days this autumn; we will concentrate on the west coast after visiting Edinburgh. I’m eager to visit the market outside the castle on Saturday in Edinburgh, Sunday we will be off for a seven night tour (flying out of Glasgow the following Sunday). We would like to stay over in Oban, Skye, and Sterling (not in any order). Thinking of renting a car in Sterling for rural driving, but would also like to take the scenic rail to Mallaig. The goal is to stay at least 2 nights in each locale enabling us to get a better sense of the place and its people, as opposed to running from stop to stop to just quickly view many places.

Greatly appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
15,056 posts
323 reviews
1. Re: West coast itinerary

You're off to a good start by not renting a car until out of Edinburgh. Its spelled Stirling by the way. Not being pedantic but it might help you find the correct destination page full of Stirling info.

If you have time at the end of the trip, then Glasgow is well worth a closer look, even if its just to tour the city on the open top bus for a couple of hours.

http://citysightseeingglasgow.co.uk/

Winter Park, Florida
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: West coast itinerary

Thanks for reminding me, Purple. I consistently spell Stirling w/ an 'e'. We would like to spend a good part of our last day in Glasgow. Is very short time, but selecting places to visit is a challenge when there is so much from which to choose.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
8,441 posts
70 reviews
3. Re: West coast itinerary

Why not do a day trip by train from Edinburgh to Stirling on the Sunday, then travel by train to Mallaig on the Monday. Cross to Skye on Tuesday morning, pick up pre-booked hire car on Skye, and stay four nights. Drop off hire car first thing Saturday, and cross back to Mallaig and then by train to Glasgow, arriving Saturday evening.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
4,495 posts
31 reviews
4. Re: West coast itinerary

"I consistently spell Stirling w/ an 'e'. We would like to spend a good part.."

Well you certainly can spend a good part of your Sterling with an "e"!

Winter Park, Florida
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: West coast itinerary

Thank you, Dh! You guys are great for responding. Is Oban a feasible day trip from Skye?? We would really like to spend a few days there. Plan to visit Glencoe while staying in Oban, thought a car would make it easier to explore from that hub.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
8,441 posts
70 reviews
6. Re: West coast itinerary

OP, you ask 'Is Oban a feasible day trip from Skye??' The answer, I'm afraid, is no. If you want to take in Oban as well as Skye, maybe your best bet is to take the train to Oban on the Monday, then pick up a hire car there and drive to Skye. Then the following weekend, return the car to Oban and take the train to Glasgow.

7. Re: West coast itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 07:41