We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hebrides itinerary

Rob
Level Contributor
319 posts
Hebrides itinerary
Save

OK, so this is what I've come up with:

DAY 1 (Thursday 29 April).

- Morning ferry from Ullaport to Stornaway.

- Collect hire car at lunchtime.

- Visit the standing stones, the blackhouse museum @ Arnol, Shawbost beach

- Drive to Kneep. Camp in Kneep.

DAY 2 (Friday 30 April)

- Have a walk around in Kneep, then drive to Harris.

- (weather permitting) Visit the Eagle Observatory

- Take a circular drive round South Harris, getting first impressions, and a bite to eat at the Butty Bus

- Find a place to camp, probably Luskentyre

DAY 3 (Saturday 1 May)

- Ferry over to Berneray

- Half a day's walking in Berneray

- Drive to Balranald, stopping to walk up a random hill along the way

- Camp in Balranald

DAY 4 (Sunday 2 May)

- Have a walk round Balranald

- Drive south, doing a little circuit around Loch Bi and down to Daliburgh/South Lochoisdale (eating at the Co-op), and 2 nights accommodation.

- (weather permitting) a round at Askernish golf club

DAY 5 (Monday 3 May)

- Visit to Eriskay

- Possible daytrip to Barra

DAY 6 (Tuesday 4 May)

SPARE DAY

DAY 7 (Wednesday 5 May)

- Head back up to Harris

- Camp on Harris

Day 8 (Thursday 6 May)

- Spend a full day enjoying Harris, according to the favourite spots I saw on the way down

- B&B on Harris

Day 9 (Friday 7 May)

- Drive back up to Stornoway and return the hire car

- Visit the knitting muesum

- Get the bus back to Tarbert for the ferry over to Uig

9 replies to this topic
Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
9,471 posts
34 reviews
131 helpful votes
1. Re: Hebrides itinerary
Save

Have you got your ferries, car hire and campsites booked? I think it’s going to be very busy on the islands in the next few weeks.

Rob
Level Contributor
319 posts
2. Re: Hebrides itinerary
Save

So I've slightly updated this as follows:

DAY 1 (half day) - standing stones, arnol blackhouse, shawbost beach, drive to Kneep and camp

DAY 2 - walk at Kneep, drive to Harris, Eagle Observatory, drive round Harris for an initial look

DAY 3 - ferry to Berneray, a few hours on Berneray, drive to Balranald and camp

DAY 4 - walk at Balranald, drive south to Daliburgh stopping for otter spotting on Benbecula (EASY DAY)

DAY 5 - play golf , go to beach in Eriskay (SPARE HALF DAY)

DAY 6 - daytrip to Barra

DAY 7 - drive up to Berneray and ferry to Harris, walk up Eaval on North Uist (EASY DAY)

DAY 8 - do stuff on Harris

DAY 9 (half day) - Drop the car back

WHAT I NEED TO DECIDE IS, SHOULD I BRING EVERYTHING FORWARD ONE DAY (my final day is fixed) TO INCLUDE A SPARE/WEATHER DAY ?

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,762 posts
696 reviews
732 helpful votes
3. Re: Hebrides itinerary
Save

Looks a great trip.Some comments:

I'd drop Shawbost beach and make more of your time around Reef beach (fabulous) and the not too far away Uig Sands area which is magnificent. The further north on that west coast of Lewis you go, IMO, the less interesting it is though the coast itself is nice enough.But it can't compare with further south on Lewis.

Just to be aware that you can see sea and golden eagles all over Harris so keep a look out wherever you are.We've often seen them at Luskentyre, flying across the lower slopes of Ben Luskentyre. I don't find that walk to the Observatory (a hut) all that interesting in itself though we have seen, at a far distance, the golden eagles on the skyline.

Harris is magnificent so give it plenty of time - east coast too. The beauty of the beaches and overall backdrop of the south/west is truly something else.

I'd recommend the walk along Berneray's west coast beach, a corker and then up onto Beinn Shleibh.I've posted the link below to my own write up of many many trips to the Outer Hebrides, mixing wild camping and the occasional scrub up in a B&B. We do a lot of walking, so there are walks listed too - it might help in your planning and covers more than I can here!

https://wp.me/p4QqFa-5TT

You will manage something around Balranald re camping but there's a lot of farming /croft land there so it'll take a bit of a walk to be out of sight and away from houses or off farmland etc.

A great walk (described in the link above) is the Beinn Scolpaig loop, on the road to Balranald.There's also Beinn Mhor (near Lingeigh -don't miss that beach along with Hornish!) and North Lee over by Lochmaddy.

A short hike up Eriskay's highest little hill (20 mins) gives magnificent views.

Watch tide times for the Eaval walk as there's a river outlet from the loch which becomes impassable at times.

Walkhighlands is an excellent website for all walks.

I'm not sure I'd factor in a spare day as such;there is so much to see and do if you love the outdoors, just plan away and give places as much time as you can. The weather will be what it will be. Plus there are long daylight hours so a wet day often turns into a glorious evening .Or a rubbish morning becomes a fantastic afternoon etc.Or vice versa:)

Rob
Level Contributor
319 posts
4. Re: Hebrides itinerary
Save

Many thanks #3. Much appreciated. Some great info and tips there.

I believe there is a new campsite at Balranld so will check that out.

I have added the Beinn Scolpaig lopp to my itinerary. Thanks.

For anyone else planning to go, the Lady Anne boat trip looks absolutely awesome, but unfortunately he isn't starting trips this year until after my scheduled visit.

Rob

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,687 posts
142 reviews
94 helpful votes
5. Re: Hebrides itinerary
Save

Hi Rob. You've obviously done quite a bit of research but might still find the visitouterhebrides web site of interest

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
16,616 posts
65 reviews
27 helpful votes
6. Re: Hebrides itinerary
Save

Note the request from Queen Nicola to carry out lateral flow tests before travelling to the islands http://www.hebrides-news.com/get-tested-if-travelling-to-islands-20421.html?fbclid=IwAR1EN36kWSDbe-itsWPKleeCV9j8yHMe77RANmCXWiK52Qsy96jgR8UHE34

You can order these for free through the government website.

Edited: 21 April 2021, 13:15
Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,762 posts
696 reviews
732 helpful votes
7. Re: Hebrides itinerary
Save

Ah ok re Balranald - I was thinking about you wild camping.

Yes the Lady Anne boat trip is just brilliant.We did it in poor drizzly weather and it was still stunning.Amazing wildlife (not otters).Hoping to do that one again ourselves this summer.

London, United...
Level Contributor
34,691 posts
88 reviews
106 helpful votes
8. Re: Hebrides itinerary
Save

You might find it useful if you havent already, to download the Calmac app, or check their website or social media regularly. Things change. Schedules change. (I'm trying to get to Arran, and one of the ferries there is being moved to Ullapool soon because a Lewis ferry is having engine problems.)

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
9,471 posts
34 reviews
131 helpful votes
9. Re: Hebrides itinerary
Save

I’ve got a ferry booking next week and just had a message via the app that departure has moved forward by an hour.

Definitely worth having.

Reply to: Hebrides itinerary
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Ireland. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.