We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scotland during Christmas

2 posts
Scotland during Christmas

Hi, We are planning to visit Scotland during Christmas. Need guidance on following-

-Would be more interested in seeing the natural beauty and countryside. Is December a good time?

-Budget stay options.

-Best travelling option from Oxford to Scotland.

-Must see places.

Factors for consideration-

-Travelling with a 3 yr old

-Will take public transport for sightseeing.

-On a budget.

Thanks!!

8 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
674 posts
1 review
1. Re: Scotland during Christmas

Although it is doable, travelling in Scotland at Christmas can be hard work.

Some of the best places to stay will be fully booked already as many people with return for or go away to for family christmases. Plus much accommodation will be closed completely for the winter. If you don't have somewhere booked, do that ASAP. Its more a matter of taking what you can get. Aviemore is quite popular had had reasonable amenities over the Christmas period. Similarly Braemar - but it is much more cut-off and people who go there like it that way!

Many visitor attractions will be shut - Mostly September to April but some do re-open at Christmas though. Outdoors will still be there but remember that the days are short, so start as soon as you get light and expect it to be dark by mid afternoon.

Public transport will be minimal - Finishes early on Christmas Eve, nothing on Christmas day and if you are lucky, a Sunday service on the 26th.

From Oxford, train to Edinburgh or Glasgow is probably your best option but cheap tickets will be in short supply - around twelve weeks before travel is best for them

Edited: 16 November 2018, 14:36
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
45,851 posts
81 reviews
2. Re: Scotland during Christmas

Presuming you are from Oxford you will know the constraints of public transportation around Christmas. i.e. limited after about 8pm on christmas eve and practically nothing on the 25th and very limited on the 26th so what dates did you actually mean to travel?

By the structure of your post you have neither looked or booked any accommodation or travel and have no idea how much it will cost or even know where in Scotland you want to go to.

For instance the train to Edinburgh will be at least £227 and that is with a Family railcard which you need to buy (£30) travelling the 22nd to the 27th.

Your question is way to general to give any advice. I mean how can you expect people to tell you must see's when nothing is must see and you don't have car anyway which means you would find it difficult to get there anyway.

I would stick to a large city under your circumstances. Either Glasgow or Edinburgh or go to stay in Aviemore but don't expect anything to be cheap around Christmas.

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
16,592 posts
21 reviews
3. Re: Scotland during Christmas

Is December a good time to go trailing round Scotland, by public transport, with a three year old?

NO.!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
3,142 posts
12 reviews
4. Re: Scotland during Christmas

There are small group tours, but a) I doubt they run over Christmas and New Year and b) they won't allow a 3yo on board. Over 25/26 Dec and 1/2 Jan there will be limited bus services in Edinburgh https:/… and I assume the same might apply to Glasgow. But longer distance bus or train services through the highlands - unlikely. You will be pushed to visit the countryside on those dates.

You might be just about OK in town, so longs you're happy with reduced transport and outdoorsy places because lots of places like museums, the zoo, will close. See this useful guide to Edinburgh: https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186…

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
13,753 posts
14 reviews
5. Re: Scotland during Christmas

6 hours of daylight!

Unless I was visiting relatives I personally wouldn’t bother!

More so if you are counting the pennies, eating out on Christmas Day alone will be around double any other day!

2 posts
6. Re: Scotland during Christmas

Thank you. Really appreciate all the help and suggestions.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
3,194 posts
249 reviews
7. Re: Scotland during Christmas

"Is December a good time to go trailing round Scotland, by public transport, with a three year old?

NO.!

"

This.

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
15,524 posts
7 reviews
8. Re: Scotland during Christmas

December is cold and wet.

Christmas is cold, wet, and expensive.