We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help with my Scotland itinerary please

Singapore
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
Need help with my Scotland itinerary please

Hi, I am making a trip to Scotland next April with my husband and would like some advice if this itinerary is doable? My husband and I love scenic places, small towns, visiting weekend markets, and we don’t want to rush through to try to cover everything, we want to enjoy at a good pace. I am skipping the isle of Lewis as kinda worried about the sea sickness part as I am not a good traveller especially on the seas.

Day 1: Land Edinburgh, take tram or bus to our hotel (should be near St Andrews Square)F&E

Day 2: F&E Edinburgh

Day 3: Pick up rental car and head off to St Andrews to meet a friend and explore that area. Then drive to Loch Tay for the night

Day 4: Loch Tay

Day 5: Drive to Inverness

Day 6: Inverness

Day 7: Drive to Isle of Skye for 2 nights. Stay Portree area

Day 8: Isle of Skye

Day 9: Drive to Fort William. Or should I consider staying at Glencoe instead?

Day 10: Drive to Loch Lomond

Day 11: Drive to Glasgow. Return rental car. Explore Glasgow

Day 12: Glasgow

Day 13: Train back to Edinburgh

Day 14: Depart Edinburgh

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

8 replies to this topic
Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
235 posts
197 reviews
1. Re: Need help with my Scotland itinerary please

Your itinerary looks good, covering some key areas/sights.

For Loch Tay have a look at accommodation in Kenmore.

If Fort William does not appeal then have a look at Glencoe village which is a good alternative.

Could I also suggest you look at Arrochar for accommodation when staying near Loch Lomond, it’s only 10mins from Tarbet on the Loch side.

Falkirk District...
Level Contributor
766 posts
459 reviews
2. Re: Need help with my Scotland itinerary please

Fort William is not the most attractive of towns. Glencoe is certainly more spectacular and a better place to stay overnight

Singapore
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
3. Re: Need help with my Scotland itinerary please

Thank you! This helps greatly!

Los Alamos, New...
Level Contributor
3,378 posts
149 reviews
4. Re: Need help with my Scotland itinerary please

Another vote for Glencoe over Fort William. Just lovely. Also, I'd take one of the nights from Inverness and give it to Skye so you can have 2 full days there. Much less rushed....the island is bigger than most realize.

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
5,170 posts
533 reviews
5. Re: Need help with my Scotland itinerary please

Unless there is something you particularly want to see in Inverness, then drop it and head west after Loch Tay. Additional time on Skye is a good idea.(But don't discount Harris/Lewis either - it's only 1h 40 mins sail from north Skye and if you stay out on deck, that lessens the potential for sea sickness. The sailing is rarely that bad!

There is a great drive from Loch Tay over to Glen Lyon which is well worth doing.

Kenmore or Killin are good bases though at opposite ends of the loch.

Singapore
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
6. Re: Need help with my Scotland itinerary please

Ok I shall replace Fort William with Glencoe. Glencoe looks beautiful! I was thinking of visiting Victorian market and doing a cruise on Loch Ness Lake. Having heard so much about Nessie since young it’s on my bucket list to try to get a sighting ha ha. You think a day will be enough for me to cover the cruise and the market? Not too sure what else to do in Inverness actually, as I just started doing my planning.

Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
591 posts
4 reviews
7. Re: Need help with my Scotland itinerary please

Maybe you could get an open jaw flight into Edinburgh and out of Glasgow? That would save you having to travel back through to Edinburgh. Its a small detail but maybe gives more time.

Singapore
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
8. Re: Need help with my Scotland itinerary please

Too late. Already booked my ticket in and out of Edinburgh...oh well, there will always be more trips to Scotland in future!

Reply to: Need help with my Scotland itinerary please
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted