We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Private Tour/food recommendations

Private Tour/food recommendations

My husband,his parents and I will be traveling to Edinburgh in May. We are looking for the best private tour company for a one day trip from Edinburgh to Loch Ness. Along the way we’d like to stop at Sterling, Glencoe, Loch Ness. Who do you recommend?

Also, we love to eat authentic food when we travel. Where are the best local eateries and what dishes are must try?

10 replies to this topic
Wiltshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire
Level Contributor
11,942 posts
449 reviews
1. Re: Private Tour/food recommendations

You might want to do a little more research? There are much more attractive lochs much closer to Edinburgh, the obvious being a tour of Loch Lomond and the Trossachs . Loch Ness is actually fairly uninteresting and it would be a very long day for second best (IMO). Also Stirling is an easy day trip from Edinburgh.

Do you actually mean a car and guide to yourself or would a small group tour suffice an example being www.rabbies.com

Falkirk District...
Level Contributor
773 posts
459 reviews
2. Re: Private Tour/food recommendations

You will find it very difficult to fit all these places in a one day tour. Although there is a good amount of day light at that time of the year - getting light about 5.30am and dark around 10pm it would be a push.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
74,501 posts
478 reviews
3. Re: Private Tour/food recommendations

Just going from Edinburgh to Loch Ness and back makes for a long day. Adding in other places makes it nigh on impossible as a day trip.

Level Contributor
664 posts
1 review
4. Re: Private Tour/food recommendations

For Scottish food, these threads could be useful:

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186…

See also Aberdeen Angus Beef, estate shot venison and quality seafood, straight-off the boat.

But do not let anyone kid you that a deep fried Mars Bar is in any way a traditional Scottish delicacy..!

Maryland
Level Contributor
5,092 posts
6 reviews
5. Re: Private Tour/food recommendations

You can try www.guideadvisor.com they will organize any personal tour and transport you want.

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,664 posts
28 reviews
6. Re: Private Tour/food recommendations

This guy Craig has been operating for a number of years to great reviews http://www.mini-tours.com/

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
3,132 posts
12 reviews
7. Re: Private Tour/food recommendations

Edinburgh - Inverness - Glencoe - Stirling - Edinburgh. Eight hours' driving, without stops. OK maybe reverse that route in order to get to Stirling within office hours. Add rest stops and the opportunity to be a tourist, and you've got a 12 hours day or longer. A guide / driver should baulk at that: it's too much time behind the wheel. Not safe.

Omit Inverness / Loch Ness and you have something much more manageable.

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
5,059 posts
103 reviews
8. Re: Private Tour/food recommendations

If you are certain you want to go to Loch Ness, I wouldn't attempt to include a visit to Stirling as part of it. Stirling is easy to get to by train from Edinburgh and you can then explore the town, castle etc at your own pace. Travel time to Inverness is about 3 hours without any stops. Return including Glencoe is about 5 hours, again with no stops.

Los Alamos, New...
Level Contributor
3,384 posts
149 reviews
9. Re: Private Tour/food recommendations

Please go back to the drawing board on this. Recommend driving to Glencoe and back. This will take you through Stirling as well as past Loch Lomond, which is MUCH more scenic than Loch Ness. And I promise.....you'll see as many monsters at Loch Lomond as you will at Loch Ness :)

Level Contributor
664 posts
1 review
10. Re: Private Tour/food recommendations

I agree with the above - Loch Ness is the weakest part of your plan and will only add significant travelling time and you will likely be underwhelmed when you get there. It could also be very busy in may and pretty-much a tourist pit.

Dropping it will increase the amount of time you have available in far more scenic/historic locations.

One suggestion I'll make is that after Glencoe, you loop round the coast road, making a detour to Port Appin, a very historic old highland village, where you get beautiful views of Lismore Island and the mountains behind and if the time works out, the Pierhouse is an excellent place for quality locally sourced meal. I used to take my elderly mother there and she absolutely loved the place..!

Then you can loop back to the main road to Glasgow via Connel (play film location spotting on the way!) and along Loch Awe which for sheer beauty, knocks Loch Ness into the proverbial cocked-hat!

Edited: 16 November 2018, 12:25
Reply to: Private Tour/food recommendations
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted