We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Advice.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
1,228 posts
103 reviews
Itinerary Advice.

I think this trip would occur next fall (maybe early October) and is for two adults who love scenery and outdoor activities including photography. We can add more days (up to 14 total) so I’m curious where we need/ want more time.

1. Edinburgh- arrive.

2. Sitesee edinburgh. Sleep there again.

3. Drive to Glasgow and stay there.

4. Drive to Oban.

5. Drive to isle of Skye.

6. Stay same place in isle of skye.

7. Drive to Inverness and overnight.

8. Inverness or elsewhere in highlands?

9. Inverness or elsewhere in highlands?

10. Drive back to Edinburgh.

Where do we need more time or where should I add extra nights? I know we could stay longer in Glasgow but more interested in scenery than cities this time around. Thanks!!

17 replies to this topic
Los Alamos, New...
Level Contributor
3,391 posts
149 reviews
11. Re: Itinerary Advice.

No need to move around on Skye. Everything is reachable via day trip from anywhere on the island but most of us feel that Portree is the best base as far as location, amenities, etc.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
742 posts
94 reviews
12. Re: Itinerary Advice.

I'd suggest that you trim or eliminate Inverness in order to add extra time to Skye...if you like scenery you could also trim Oban in favor of adding Mull.

Los Alamos, New...
Level Contributor
3,391 posts
149 reviews
13. Re: Itinerary Advice.

Agree with Mark M

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
1,228 posts
103 reviews
14. Re: Itinerary Advice.

I had not done much research yet when posting. Inverness is basically a placeholder for time in the Highlands in general. I gather from all these helpful comments that we do not want to stay in Inverness. I am now redoing the itinerary to reflect those nights in the highlands as staying somewhere else.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
742 posts
94 reviews
15. Re: Itinerary Advice.

I'm not saying that Inverness is a bad place at all. We found it quite lovely along the river there....and it was a perfect place to rent a car far away from a big city like Glasgow or Edinburgh. But then again, we were lucky enough to have 22-days total in Scotland and had the time to meander a bit. If you "only" have 14-days, I think you're smart to focus most of your time in the areas where you'll be the happiest. We loved Skye and found Mull was wonderful, too.

Level Contributor
673 posts
1 review
16. Re: Itinerary Advice.

When I'm on Skye, I tend to base myself at Uig, in the North of the Island - Partly because it is less busy and also because of its geography, it is the least midge-blighted place on the Island but this won't be nearly as much of an issue in September and not at all by October.

Certainly its a smaller place but it has all the basic amenities for a visitor and remains well placed for most of Skye, on a good main road to Portree but maybe not for Sleat/the far south of the Island.

It also makes the possibility of a day trip to Harris on the ferry a real possibility. Which can be done quite cheaply as a foot passenger as public transport on Harris/Lewis is far better than on Skye itself.

Edited: 16 November 2018, 11:34
Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
5,190 posts
533 reviews
17. Re: Itinerary Advice.

An extra day at least for Skye then an explore of Applecross and Torridon. Or look at going over to Harris/Lewis for some truly stunning Hebridean scenery, some of Scotland's most memorable.

I wouldn't include Oban at all unless you plan the Mull/Iona/Staffa etc trip - which is superb.

Reply to: Itinerary Advice.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted