We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Advice.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
1,228 posts
103 reviews
Itinerary Advice.

I think this trip would occur next fall (maybe early October) and is for two adults who love scenery and outdoor activities including photography. We can add more days (up to 14 total) so I’m curious where we need/ want more time.

1. Edinburgh- arrive.

2. Sitesee edinburgh. Sleep there again.

3. Drive to Glasgow and stay there.

4. Drive to Oban.

5. Drive to isle of Skye.

6. Stay same place in isle of skye.

7. Drive to Inverness and overnight.

8. Inverness or elsewhere in highlands?

9. Inverness or elsewhere in highlands?

10. Drive back to Edinburgh.

Where do we need more time or where should I add extra nights? I know we could stay longer in Glasgow but more interested in scenery than cities this time around. Thanks!!

17 replies to this topic
Glasgow
Level Contributor
4,244 posts
13 reviews
1. Re: Itinerary Advice.

September would be better than October if you can manage it.

I would switch one of your Inverness nights to add an extra one in Oban.From there you can do the famous Mull,Iona and Staffa tour.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
1,228 posts
103 reviews
2. Re: Itinerary Advice.

We could possibly September but we don't mind the cold. Are roads still usually passable in October?

Good suggestion. We can add or switch an extra night to Oban - do you advise to stay in Oban and tour those areas or perhaps overnight in one of them?

Thanks!

Glasgow
Level Contributor
4,244 posts
13 reviews
3. Re: Itinerary Advice.

Roads will be ok but more daylight available in September and probably better weather.

It is usual to stay in Oban then take the tour without your car.

East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
11,550 posts
181 reviews
4. Re: Itinerary Advice.

Check when tours to Staffa finish...it might be end of September, don't know.

Los Alamos, New...
Level Contributor
3,397 posts
149 reviews
5. Re: Itinerary Advice.

Cars are a huge hindrance in the city. I'd do Glasgow as a day trip (via train) from Edinburgh OR train to Glasgow and overnight there but don't pick up your car until you are heading out of the city and on your way to Oban. If you have the ability to add one more day to Skye, I strongly recommend it. Most say that it's not worth the detour unless you can give it two full days of touring and having been there, I agree with this.

East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
11,550 posts
181 reviews
6. Re: Itinerary Advice.

Leave out Inverness and head south to the Cairngorms National Park which is a short 35 minute drive from the Highland capital. Plenty to see and do, great scenery, fabulous walking. If Aviemore is not to your taste, choose the pretty village of Grantown on Spey which has plenty of accommodation choices and other amenities.

http://visitcairngorms.com

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/cairngorms/

Some beautiful lochs, mountains, rivers and forests and even a ruined castle in a forest with a loch and a mountain backdrop! ( Loch an Eilein)

https:/…loch-an-eilein.shtml

If you need more information to help your research, I'd be happy to help.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
1,228 posts
103 reviews
7. Re: Itinerary Advice.

Thanks to all good advice so far. Moore, I recognize you from the Iceland forum! Appreciate the feedback. Glasgow as a daytrip is a good thought. I will look into that for sure. 3 nights in Skye sounds good.

Woodybark, i appreciate the suggestion. To be honest - I just kind of put Inverness as I read it was "gateway to the highlands". I know we want to spend time in the highlands and wasn't sure where exactly to overnight. I'm happy to spend a good chunk of time there.

Level Contributor
674 posts
1 review
8. Re: Itinerary Advice.

TBH, Inverness is more like the "boil on the Highlands backside"

I'd suggest that from Skye, you keep heading up the coast - Through Lochcarron, over the Bealach na Ba to Applecross, then Sheildaig, Torridon/Loch Maree or if you can manage the time/distance, head for Ullapool and north into Assynt/Lochinver and points north - where you will find some of Scotlands most magnificent and far less visited scenery.

Edited: 14 November 2018, 21:59
Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
3,201 posts
37 reviews
9. Re: Itinerary Advice.

I agree with all that M8436DHbrians said. The whole highlands west coast area is nonstop for beaches, lochs and mountains. The Bealach na Ba is a magnificent mountain pass with great views on both sides. Living in Colorado I've seen my fair share. Applecross, Torridon, Lochinver, Gairloch. This whole side of the Northwest is classic Scotland.

We spent 4 nights in this area and I wished it could have been at least a week.

Here's our TR w/pics if it helps.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g18648…

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
1,228 posts
103 reviews
10. Re: Itinerary Advice.

Great advice and thanks again. Powderglut, thank you for sending me your Iceland trip report. I haven't had a chance yet but I do plan to read it. I just love Iceland and can't stop talking about it!

I think we are able to spend at least 4 nights in the highlands area. I am going to check out the places mentioned in this thread and try to determine where to overnight. I don't mind moving frequently if that's best.

It also seems to be a consensus to spend 3 nights on Skye? Any need to move lodging or is it compact enough to just set up shop in one place?

Reply to: Itinerary Advice.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted