We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dundrum Castle?

Georgia
Level Contributor
96 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Dundrum Castle?

Hello! I'm visiting Newcastle with my husband in May. We'll arrive Sunday afternoon and are staying two nights at Slieve Donard Resort before moving on to Portrush. I'd like to see Dundrum Castle, but I'm confused about the opening hours. I can't seem to find a web page for the castle maintained by the agency that runs the site. Other tourism websites and guidebooks are offering up different information. Are the grounds opened daily? Or the more restricted hours that I'm seeing other places? I'm just trying to figure out when we can fit it in. Also, it appears to be an easy walk from the village of Dundrum. Is that correct? I was thinking about visiting the castle and then stopping in the village for a drink or a meal before returning to Newcastle. Thanks!

3 replies to this topic
Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
1,022 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dundrum Castle?

Dundrum castle is well sign posted on the left hand side coming from Newcastle direction and only slightly out of the main area.

I cant remember if there was any opening hours - but it is an open area of the old ruins - no entry fee or anything - you are free to wander around - and my kids had a ball climbing up and down the different bits of stairs etc and taking loads of photos.

If you have a car - Maghera Inn is lovely for a wee drink - kinda between Newcastle/Dundrum but slightly off main track (if that makes sense)

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
3,269 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dundrum Castle?

It's a short, though steeply uphill walk from the village. The site is often overlooked but has tremendous views and well worth a visit. There's no longer a warden and it's generally open all reasonable hours.

Georgia
Level Contributor
96 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dundrum Castle?

Thanks for the responses! We won't have a car, but it seems like we can get to Dundrum relatively easily by bus or taxi. I do plan to visit the Newcastle tourist office when we arrive, but I'm trying to have a rough itinerary in place before we go. We're in Newcastle for such a short time. My husband has a tee time booked at Royal County Down so I have to plan around that. We're looking forward to our visit to Northern Ireland!

Reply to: Dundrum Castle?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about County Down