We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Belfast to Coleraine and Portrush

Which Belfast hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Arizona
Level Contributor
737 posts
Save Topic
Train from Belfast to Coleraine and Portrush

Hello,

Four of us would like to take the train from Dublin to Belfast on Sunday Aug 5 then connect to the Belfast to Coleraine train and the Coleraine to Portrush train.

According to the websites here is the proposed schedule:

10:00-12:16 Dublin to Belfast

12:51-14:11 Belfast to Coleraine

14:20-14:30 Coleraine to Portrush

Will this work? Is the time in Belfast too short to make it from one train to the next?

Can we buy train tickets in advance for the Belfast to Coleraine and the Coleraine to Portrush journeys? Is it possible to reserve seats on these trains in advance as well?

Belfast, United...
Destination Expert
for Belfast
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Belfast to Coleraine and Portrush

Those times should work out fine - the Enterprise will arrive at Belfast Central and you can get the train to Coleraine straight from there anyway - it will take literally 2 minutes at most to change platforms, or maybe 10 if you want to go into the station to buy your onward tickets to Portrush and then back out to the platform afterwards. With the amount of time you have between trains you should even be able to grab a coffee and a bite to eat in the café :-)

As for the train between Coleraine and Portrush - as long as there are no lengthy delays you should be absolutely fine.

Arizona
Level Contributor
737 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Belfast to Coleraine and Portrush

Bridget - thanks for your reply! It's a relief to know that this schedule will work.

How full will the Belfast - Coleraine train be on that Sunday? Just wondering if we will be able to find 4 seats together?

Is it possible to buy the Coleraine - Portrush tickets online in advance?

5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Belfast to Coleraine and Portrush

Hello Marymarathons -

I just read your pos6t and realized I am hoping ot make a similar journey in late June. what website did you find these timetables?

Thanks!

Edited: 16 May 2012, 19:25
Arizona
Level Contributor
737 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Belfast to Coleraine and Portrush

Hello rubylewellyn!

Here are the websites:

http://www.irishrail.ie/

http://www.translink.co.uk/

Happy travels and let me know how it goes for you!

Mary

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,372 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from Belfast to Coleraine and Portrush

Should work fine.

As far as I know, you can't book online for the Belfast-Portrush segment. I've never heard of anyone doing it and there is no function on the translink website allowing it.

I can't comment too much on getting 4 seats together other than it might be difficult especially as you will be getting on from Central and the train starts at Great Victoria Street. Friends and I travelled on a Sunday a couple of years ago - although it was around 10/11am. There were 3 of us and we all sat separately although within view of each other. That said, an afternoon train might be a better bet as you won't be getting the "day trippers" so you may well be lucky:)

Belfast, United...
Destination Expert
for Belfast
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from Belfast to Coleraine and Portrush

Agree with everything ponaire has said :-)

5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Train from Belfast to Coleraine and Portrush

Perfect - Thanks Mary!

Arizona
Level Contributor
737 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Train from Belfast to Coleraine and Portrush

Thanks Ponaire!

If we buy tickets for the Belfast - Coleraine train are we assured of getting a seat? Or should we be prepared to have to stand for part of the journey?

Lisburn, United...
Level Contributor
834 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train from Belfast to Coleraine and Portrush

You're not guaranteed a seat, although at that time on a Sunday afternoon, it's likely you'll all get seats. Whether they'll all be together or not is another matter, as it also depends on what type of train they put on the service - the newest trains have less groups of 4 seats around tables than the previous model has.

Lisburn, United...
Level Contributor
834 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train from Belfast to Coleraine and Portrush

Also, note that your *arrival* time in Coleraine is actually 1408, so that gives you a few extra minutes to make your connection.

Although given NIR's punctuality record, your arrival time is actually more likely to be 1411!

Get answers to your questions about Belfast