We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nightlife

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
579 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Nightlife

Hi there,

Sorry if this has been asked a million times. Anyway i have noticed that easyjet fly Newcastle to Belfast for a reasonable price and wondered if its worth popping over for a weekend for the nightlife?

Belfast, United...
Destination Expert
for Belfast
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nightlife

It depends what you're into. We have plenty of pubs that are thriving and lively and there's a pretty decent live music scene, but the clubbing scene leaves a lot to be desired.

This website is pretty good for seeing what sorts of things are on in the city on given nights - use the wee calendar on the bottom-left to have a look for this Friday or Saturday nights' events.

http://www.belfastmusic.org/

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
579 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nightlife

sounds perfect, as i'm 37 but still love to party however long past going "nightclubbing" prefer late bars or live music bars. Must try it out then

Belfast, United...
Destination Expert
for Belfast
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nightlife

Do! I've never met anyone who came to Belfast and hated it :-)

Belfast, United...
Destination Expert
for Belfast
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nightlife

Just saw this yesterday actually. Apparently Lonely Planet thinks we're a "hip and hedonistic party town"! Good to know!

u.tv/News/Travel-guide-brands-Belfast-party-…

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
231 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nightlife

The cathedral quarter is excellent, head for ollies, 21 social, white tavern, the garrick, duke of york is particularly nice.

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
579 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nightlife

All sounds fab. Going to book flights in next few days and think were heading over 2nd March for 2 nights. Any ideas on where we should look to stay? Victoria Square area?? Is that where i'd head to bars? as well as Cathedral Quarter? there for fri and sat so would like to try 2 different areas.

Looked at Jurys? don't want anything too expensive as don't plan on being in the room much.

Belfast, United...
Destination Expert
for Belfast
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nightlife

Victoria Square is a shopping mall - there are hotels within walking distance but not right there. For two different areas to go out, I would try the Cathedral Quarter one night and then the "Golden Mile" (Great Victoria Street/Dublin Road) the other. Different feels to them but you can have a great night in both areas. As for where to stay, Jury's is ok. What's your budget though? The Premier Inns in the Cathedral Quarter and Alfred Street are convenient and get good reviews and often have great deals on rooms, so those are worth a try.

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
579 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nightlife

Thanks so much for all your help. I was getting confused with Victoria Square and Great Victoria Street.. Love Premier Inns so happy to stay at either of those, was only considering Jurys as it sleeps 3 in a room and there maybe 3 of us going and its only works out 25 quid each. if just 2 of us go will defo book the Premier inn.

So any preference as to which one to do on which night?

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
579 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nightlife

both premier inns have good deals on at the moment. Which would you recommend for location?

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,375 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nightlife

I think Waring Street is a better location as it is right in the middle of the Cathedral Quarter right opposite the Merchant hotel and very handy for lots of pubs. Either would be fine. I stayed in the Waring Street (Cathedral Quarter) one about 18 months ago with friends and it was great - nice staff and superb value.