We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stag weekend in Belfast

Gourock
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Stag weekend in Belfast

I am looking to go to Belfast at the start of April with around 15 of my mates.

We are not a rowdy bunch (in fact got a couple of coppers among our ranks) so hopefully not be too much of an issue getting in to places.

Where should we be heading for some eye candy and nightlife fun?

Most of us are earlt 30's (by no means past it though!).

Any help on areas to stay and also areas to party would be magic.

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,388 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stag weekend in Belfast

For somewhere to stay, have a look at the likes of the Premier Inn Waring Street. It's in the popular cathedral quarter so a good selection of pubs and a few restaurants nearby. Have a read at the reviews on this website to see if it fits and also get other options.

Being female I can't comment too much on stag dos but if not rowdy, splitting into smaller groups sometimes helps get into places if you aren't obviously part of a stag do!

This link will give you an idea on pubs and clubs in Belfast

gotobelfast.com/what_to_do/pubs__clubs.aspx

The likes of cafe vaudeville might fit the bill -

http://www.cafevaudeville.com/

The Northern Whig is close to the Premier Inn might be an option for dinner and to start the night?

http://www.thenorthernwhig.com/index.asp

Hope that gives you a few ideas. Belfast is a compact city so any city centre hotel will be fine but the Cathedral Quarter is lively so I would tend to veer towards it.

Gourock
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Stag weekend in Belfast

Thanks for the links and advice Ponaire. I appreciate you taking the time to help me out.

We are not a rowdy bunch, so shouldn't be too much of a problem getting in to any establishments for a small libation.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stag weekend in Belfast

Hi. I agree with Ponaire that the best area for you may well be the Cathedral Quarter - a bit less rowdy than the alternative pubbing/clubbing area of the University area and more suitable for early 30s age group too. There's a good list of bars in the area here:

viewbelfast.co.uk/pubsandbars/cathedral-quar…

My personal favourites in this area are the Cloth Ear (attached to the upmarket Merchant Hotel) and 21 Social (trendy).

The alternative to the Cathedral quarter is the "golden mile" area of Great Victoria Street and on up towards the University area. The crowd is generally a little younger in some of the bars and clubs around here though. There's a list of bars etc in the area here:

viewbelfast.co.uk/pubsandbars/belfast-city-c…

As for where to stay, again Ponaire's suggestion of the Premier Inn is good for the cathedral quarter:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g186470-d1202…

There is also a Ramada Encore in the same area which gets generally good reviews (most of the negatives seem to be about parking):

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g186470-d1436…

Behind the city hall there is also another Premier Inn (Alfred Street) that is a pretty good base:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g186470-d6559…

Similarly, if you can get a good price for them, the Jury's Inn and Fitzwilliam get decent reviews and are well situated:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g186470-d1900…

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g186470-d1200…

Hope this helps as a starting point but if you have any more questions, ask away! :-)

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Stag weekend in Belfast

According to a noticeboard outside the Premier Inn on Waring St last week, room rates are £29 per room per night. Have never stayed in a Premier Inn but am well tempted by the offer on Waring Street as the hotel is new, clean, in a great area and the bar looks great from the outside.

If you want a proper pint without the "extras" of eye-candy etc you could tip around the corner to The John Hewitt Bar and taste some of the locally brewed beers too http://www.thejohnhewitt.com/beer/ It won Gastropub of the year last year for its food as well.

If staying in that area, Nicks Warehouse could be an option for the 15 of you to have some food. Bustling and Busy and who knows you could be seated beside a hen/birthday/office party (read eye candy!!) http://www.nickswarehouse.co.uk/ Hubby and I ate there last year and there were more parties than couples and the place certainly was rocking

I'm past it at mid-40's and my nights in Belfast usually conclude by midnight (I turn into a pumpkin!!) and my days of dolling myself up as eye candy are long over (thank God!!)

Enjoy Belfast - it's a wonderful place

Edited: 11 January 2011, 19:44
North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,388 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stag weekend in Belfast

Little P - funny you should say that - I'm not far behind you in age (mid to late 30s) and I stayed with friends in Belfast last August at the Premier Inn - and got the £29 deal which was great - superb value. My review will be lurking in there somewhere! My only complaint - that being past it, we returned from local pubs at about midnight and the bar in the Premier Inn wouldn't serve us coffee!!!!

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
50 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stag weekend in Belfast

If you act quickly, there are £29 rooms for the Premier Inn on Waring St in the Cathedral area. I haven't stayed in this particular one yet, but have been to other Premier Inns across the UK, and I have to say their rooms are top quality. The beds are super comfy! And it's only round the corner from all the best pubs in the area. The John Hewitt, Whites Tavern, The Duke of York, McCrackens, The Cloth Ear, The Spaniard, Potthouse etc. Ollies nightclub and The Northern Whig too :-)

Gourock
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Stag weekend in Belfast

Thanks for all the good advice and ideas of places to go folks.

My best man now has all of your advice in hand adn is looking to book the Premier in for us if possible. I believe there is some sort of booking form to be filled out if you want to book more than 4 rooms?

Thanks again.

Belfast
Level Contributor
20 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stag weekend in Belfast

I agree with pretty much everything thats been said. In the Cathedral quarter there's normally alot going on at weekends. If you want to speard you net abit for pubs you could try, go to Muriels on Church Lane. Its the sister pub of the Spaniard and if there is 15 of you ! you might more easily fit into Muriels....its quirky and lively and sorta bijou upstairs. Also try the Roost on down the street its not bad either. For eats try the new Potted Hen in St Annes Sqaure. Again with a crowd of you there is more chance you will get in there rather than Nicks where you may have to book.

Links

www.nifoodreview.com/muriels-review.htm

www.belfastbar.co.uk/the-roost-review.htm

www.oreganorestaurant.com/the-potted-hen/206/

Good luck with it all.

Jay

Belfast
Level Contributor
20 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Stag weekend in Belfast

I agree with pretty much everything thats been said. In the Cathedral quarter there's normally alot going on at weekends. If you want to speard you net abit for pubs you could try, go to Muriels on Church Lane. Its the sister pub of the Spaniard and if there is 15 of you ! you might more easily fit into Muriels....its quirky and lively and sorta bijou upstairs. Also try the Roost on down the street its not bad either. For eats try the new Potted Hen in St Annes Sqaure. Again with a crowd of you there is more chance you will get in there rather than Nicks where you may have to book.

Links

www.nifoodreview.com/muriels-review.htm

www.belfastbar.co.uk/the-roost-review.htm

www.oreganorestaurant.com/the-potted-hen/206/

Good luck with it all.

Jay

Belfast
Level Contributor
128 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Stag weekend in Belfast

Hi Wee Jada - I agree with a lot of the stuff on the thread about places. Belfast for me wouldnt be the best for a mad stag do, but for a slightly less nutty but still well inebriated one it should be fun. Some great bars and with your accents the ladies will love you.

My only comment is regarding your best man and booking the rooms.

I've organised countless weekends away for friends and one of the best pieces of advice I could impart is that, unless you are checking into a small B+B or hotel, let the members of the party book their own accommodation. As organiser check availability, tell them what hotel and when to book, possibly arrange the room pairings, and maybe do a bit of nagging if they havent booked, but you save yourself a world of hassle by doing this rather than have to worry about booking a shedload of rooms. Flights are a similar thing, tell them where and when, then harass a little if they havent booked.

Hope you dont mind me saying this, just passing on what I have gleaned over the years!