We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheapest way to get from Dublin to Giants causeway

san diego, ca
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Topic
Cheapest way to get from Dublin to Giants causeway

Ok, so while doing my research I got overly excited about visiing the giants causeway. We would like to do a daytrip (already have all 7 days hotel in ballsbridge so cant stay overnight), but is it true that the cheapest price is 100euro per person??? I checked irishrail.com and railtoireland? Oh and I also checked viator. com - they were 130. Any help would be appreciated. Also, if that really is the going rate, is it worth that much?

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
5,811 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheapest way to get from Dublin to Giants causeway

I cannot help with the price but it would certainly be a long day!

Take a look at www.translink.co.uk for road and rail services within Northern Ireland.

You would need to get the Dublin - Belfast Central train first, then change at Belfast Central to a train for Coleraine (journey time 1 hour 15 minutes approximately). From Coleraine there are buses serving the north coast - notably, in summer, the Open Topper service 177 and the Causeway Rambler service 402 .

Another possibility is to change at Belfast Central for Great Victoria Street station, minutes away, a joint road and rail station. From thence the Antrim Coaster, service 252, departing daily (Sundays 4 July to 3 October only, though) at 0905 would take you around the coast to reach the Giant's Causeway at 1219. The return pickup is at 1630 , reaching Belfast at 1945.

There may other ways of doing the trip - whether it is worth the journey from Dublin is really up to you. The Giant's Causeway is unique.

Irish in...
Level Contributor
309 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheapest way to get from Dublin to Giants causeway

Paddywagon tours do a day tour to Giants Causeway and Derry for €65 and they have a very good reputation. www.paddywagontours.com

Another company also do day tours to Giants Causeway www.giantscausewaytours.ie but I do not have any knowledge of them.

Dublin
Level Contributor
5 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheapest way to get from Dublin to Giants causeway

The cheapest way is to take the 7.00 am Bus Eireann Bus to Belfast. A return ticket costs €22. On arrival in Belfast at the Europa Buscentre you can arrange to be picked up by Allens tours. They charge €15 for a full day trip to the Causeway. Total cost of €37.

To book any of these please visit the tourism Centre on Suffolk Street & visit the Northern ireland tourist Board, All their services are free!

Enjoy

Dublin
Level Contributor
5 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheapest way to get from Dublin to Giants causeway

The cheapest way is to take the 7.00 am Bus Eireann Bus to Belfast. A return ticket costs €22. On arrival in Belfast at the Europa Buscentre you can arrange to be picked up by Allens tours. They charge €15 for a full day trip to the Causeway. Total cost of €37.

To book any of these please visit the tourism Centre on Suffolk Street & visit the Northern ireland tourist Board, All their services are free!

Enjoy

san diego, ca
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheapest way to get from Dublin to Giants causeway

Wow dublin lady, that is super cheap. Thanks for the great tip!!!!

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
5,811 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cheapest way to get from Dublin to Giants causeway

I enquired this afternoon. The return fare, Dublin to Belfast Europa bus centre and back, is €22. The return fare, Belfast Europa to the Giant's Causeway and back - using the Antrim Coaster service 252 - is £22. Note that this price is quoted in sterling.

You should now have sufficient information to organize your proposed trip.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
5,811 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cheapest way to get from Dublin to Giants causeway

Correction! - I meant to type in the Belfast - Giant's Causeway fare as £15 sterling.

For bus times, see www.translink.co.uk and www.buseirann.ie

san diego, ca
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Cheapest way to get from Dublin to Giants causeway

Thank you. One more issue though. When I go to buseirann.ie and go to "buy tickets online" I click on dublin as my departure and then when I go to the destination, there is no option for belfast europa or even belfast. Where did you guys find this information? Also, when I go to allens tours website, they say that they pick up at the international youth hostel in belfast... is that close to the belfast bus station? Sorry for all the questions!

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
5,811 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cheapest way to get from Dublin to Giants causeway

Right. I think I have it now. Go to www.buseirann.ie then click on Journey Planner. Entering Dublin Busaras (bus station) as your departure point and Belfast as your destination - with dates and time - should elicit the information you need. Good luck!

Everyone here is working from the "other end" - Belfast - hence any minor differences.

If you get really stuck with buseirann, try www.translink.co.uk again.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
5,811 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cheapest way to get from Dublin to Giants causeway

And - sorry, I missed the last part of your query - I have no idea where the International Youth hostel could be in Belfast. But if you stick with public transport the only transport change you have is within the Europa Bus station with plenty of people to keep you right and minimum opportunity for going astray.

Get answers to your questions about Belfast