We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bushmills to Navan. Day stop in Belfast?

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
769 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Bushmills to Navan. Day stop in Belfast?

We are a senior couple who will be travelling with our 30 something daughter and 8 year old grandson in May. It is our second trip to Ireland and we have not visited Belfast. (I am not a fan of big cities, much preferring rural settings.) However, my daughter would really like to make a stop in Belfast.

Question: Is it worth a stop on this 3+ hour trip to "see" Belfast? A cursory look, suggests we could take the HOHO for an overview or take a black cab tour. What else would you recommend given our timeframe?

Further question: If we do decide on Belfast, any suggestions where I could drop the rental car for the day and take the HOHO and/or the black cab tour?

Thanks for your input.

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Bushmills to Navan. Day stop in Belfast?

Hi Kilted

Quite frankly, I would take a day in Belfast over Navan any day (and I'm a Meath woman!). Although Belfast is a city, it is not a city as you may know it. Small, intimate and easily accessible. 3+ hours will just not do it justice. Quite frankly, you will not "see" Belfast in three hours. Maybe just an exercise to tick it off the list and say you have been there.

Any reason for Navan? Apart from maybe a base to visit Newgrange, Hill of Tara, Trim Castle etc, I would trade Navan for Belfast.

I know that fathers (and mothers!) always think they know best, but listen to your daughter on this occasion ;-)

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
769 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bushmills to Navan. Day stop in Belfast?

Little: Exactly right about Navan. I wasn't impressed when we stopped there last year but--as you said it is a great base for visiting all you mentioned and that is our intention. We are staying at a nice B&B outside Navan on the Navan-Trim road. Plus, we met a lovely couple last year who live in Kells and we will visit them as well.

I should have mentioned that we will have seen the Bushmills area attractions the day before so we can get an early start, right after breakfast. That would put us in Belfast at a decent hour so I'm thinking maybe 6-7 hours in Belfast. Does that make more sense?

I do have the big concern of disposing of the car for the day (in a safe place) and seeing what we can for the rest of the day.

Any other comments? Thanks

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bushmills to Navan. Day stop in Belfast?

As a regular visitor to Belfast, we more often than not park at McCauseland Carpark. Hand access/egress from the motorway, and if you choose, the HOHO bus has a stop around the corner at Jurys Inn. It's safe, secure and reasonably priced https://www.mccausland.co.uk/citycentre.htm Locals may be able to offer other suggestions, but this always works for us. You will have no problem navigating out onto the motorway for your drive to Navan afterwards.

A good map for its location is the location map for the Fitzwilliam Hotel which is right across the road from the carpark. You can download comprehensive driving directions from this link www.fitzwilliamhotelbelfast.com/location.html

Belfast
Level Contributor
2,226 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bushmills to Navan. Day stop in Belfast?

Little Pumkin is spot on! with McCauslands, and 6-7 hours is pleanty to take in the city sights.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
2,989 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bushmills to Navan. Day stop in Belfast?

Access to McCauslands is not so easy from the north. Northside Park and Ride would be very easy. Leave the M2 for the A12 Westlink and keep in the right lane. The Park and Ride is on the right before joining the Westlink. Catch a frequent bus into the city centre. It's then easy to rejoin the A12 which links directly to the M1 for the journey south.

6. Re: Bushmills to Navan. Day stop in Belfast?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 May 2013, 10:34