We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

getting to betws-y-coed

greece
3 posts
2 reviews
5 helpful votes
getting to betws-y-coed
Save

we'll be staying in britain for a total of nine days, two of them in london. I want to spend the rest of the time in north wales but i'm a bit hesitant to book a hotel beforehand as i have no idea how much time it'll take to get there. Truth is i got a bit scared when i read other people's travel experiences using public transport. Furthermore i'm not sure whether it would be easier to use betws-y-coed as a base for our travell or to stay in a different place each time. If there is frequent bus service from the village to places of interest i'd really like to stay in betws-y-coed. Otherwise, do you have any suggestions for a convenient place to stay?

Conwy.North Wales
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
5 reviews
10 helpful votes
1. Re: getting to betws-y-coed
Save

Hello Ihda, you have posted Betws y coed on the Wales forum earlier have you looked at the replies you have had??

Let us know what your interests are, then we can help you, there are other places in the North Wales area that may suit you better if you are planning on taking organised tours or public transport, it really depends on what you would like to do and see.

Would you consider hiring a car while you are in N Wales??

joana

greece
3 posts
2 reviews
5 helpful votes
2. Re: getting to betws-y-coed
Save

thank you joana,

I read the replies and checked the virgin trains' timetables.

I know it might seem a bit strange but we are two adults with no driver's license. So, our only option is public transport.

What we are looking for is to visit a picturesque village, enjoy the beautiful countryside, take long walks in the snowdonia national park and maybe get to see a few of the nearby attractions like portmeirion, conwy castle or caernarfon castle. But we are more interested in the great outdoors, mountains, lakes, falls etc.

As we have never been to wales we are open to suggestions.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,788 posts
16 reviews
25 helpful votes
3. Re: getting to betws-y-coed
Save

For your purposes I think Betws is ideal. It's surrounded by forests and rivers and has every facility for tourists

It is quite remote, as is everywhere in Snowdonia, so getting there is never going to be that easy but it is served by train services which are run by Arriva Wales

I think some long distance coach services to Bangor also stop there. Neither route is going to be particularly quick but I can vouch for the train ride taking you through some spectacular countryside

Once in Betws, there are extensive local bus services which will take you into the high mountains in the heart of the national park around Snowdon and the Glyders - these will be heavily advertised locally and frequent

For Portmeirion, the cutest way to get there would be to get the regular train to the end of the line at Blaenau Ffestiniog and from there pick up the steam trains of the Ffestiniog railway (www.festrail.co.uk) which has a stop at Minffordd within walking distance of Portmeirion. You'll have t plan this though - there aren't many trains a day

Conwy.North Wales
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
5 reviews
10 helpful votes
4. Re: getting to betws-y-coed
Save

Hello Ihda,

If you are interested in the outdoors, walking etc Betws y coed in a great place to stay, there are lots of good walks in the area.

the tel and email if you would like to contact the Betws y coed visitors centre is

01690710426 tic.byc@eyeri-npagov.uk

Beddgelert is a lovely small village in the middle of Snowdonia National Park it is one of my favourite places in North Wales even though I live not far away there is a really good small country house we like to stay at, if you are interested I will post the details.

Easily reached from Betws y coed is Conwy (not to be missed) and Llandudno.

Betws y coed will have details on tours of the area if you would like these rather than public transport, you will pay more some can be expensive.

http://www.traveline-cymru.org.uk/, try the website for bus travel

Example

put in Betws y coed to Llanberis this is where you go for Snowdon.

you may also be interested in the Llanberis lake railway,

The train journey from Pothmadog to Ffestiniog.

websites for info

www.llanberis.org

www.festrail.co.uk Ffestiniog railway

www.greatormetramway.co.uk, great views from the great Orme at Llandudno and really good walks too.

please ask if you have any questions

joana

Conwy.North Wales
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
5 reviews
10 helpful votes
5. Re: getting to betws-y-coed
Save

I wouldnt say Betws y coed is remote it is easy to get there by public transport.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,788 posts
16 reviews
25 helpful votes
6. Re: getting to betws-y-coed
Save

I meant in the sense of everywhere in Snowdonia being relatively remote - I thought my post indicated that getting there by public transport was relatively easy

Florida
3 posts
7. Re: getting to betws-y-coed
Save

Take the train towards Llandudno...get off at Llandudno Junction...wait for the train to Betws-y-coed. See my review of Rosehill Bed and Breakfast. If Rosehill is booked, try Bryn Bella, which is right next door.

The Tourist Information Center will help you with all your questions.

Further questions, I'd be glad to help.

larrobron@verizon.net

Use the train to go to Dolwyddelan Castle...very cheap tickets after you board the train going south of Betws-y-coed.

Bus travel is cheap (inexpensive)

Eat at Royal Oak in village

8. Re: getting to betws-y-coed

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2009, 15:17
Get answers to your questions about Betws-y-Coed
Recent Conversations
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Ireland. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.