We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Little help please

Leigh, United...
Level Contributor
509 posts
34 reviews
27 helpful votes
Little help please
Save

Never been here before seen online slate mine and slate cavern what's the difference as we are looking, seen one were a train takes you all around under the mines and seen one were it's just a carriage that takes you down bit confused thanks for any help

6 replies to this topic
Aberdare, United...
Level Contributor
543 posts
6 reviews
11 helpful votes
1. Re: Little help please
Save

Do you mean Llechwedd Slate Caverns in Blaenau Ffestiniog?

If so, one tour is on foot (explore the mine), the other by train (explore the huge, illuminated "halls").

I guess it depends on how fit you are and how hands-on you want to be?

Head south on the A470(15-20 mins?) out of Betws and it's halfway down the Crimea Pass hill into B.F.

There's also a nice walking route to local abandoned slate mines near Betws if you feel fit and have 3 spare hours:

https://www.carfreewalks.org/walks/204/the_old_slate_mines_-_exploring_snowdonias_history?id=204&preview=

Leigh, United...
Level Contributor
509 posts
34 reviews
27 helpful votes
2. Re: Little help please
Save

That's it, I saw one it said 1 hour and half tour and the other 3 hours one with a train that takes your round and one thats a carriage that takes you down to the mines, was confused dont know which to go

Aberdare, United...
Level Contributor
543 posts
6 reviews
11 helpful votes
3. Re: Little help please
Save

Well...do you like walking or being driven around?

Do the short one and if you haven't had your fill of dark lumps of rock, industrial processes and tales of the associated woes they inflicted upon the locals...sign-up for the 3 hour fiesta.

Wales
Level Contributor
2,597 posts
28 reviews
41 helpful votes
4. Re: Little help please
Save

You can even go bouncing around inside the slate cavern if you fancy: https://www.zipworld.co.uk/adventure/bounce-below

London, United...
Level Contributor
690 posts
12 reviews
17 helpful votes
5. Re: Little help please
Save

In my opinion the Deep Mine tour is the best. You go down very deep, and have to get out of the train and walk around in tunnels, including down a lot of steps, with a guide. I would say it is cold so wear a jumper, the train is a squeeze, and you have to wear a hard hat, but it is a very memorable experience. Have to confess I have not done the other tour for a long while, and it may have changed, so it may be better than I think.

Leigh, United...
Level Contributor
509 posts
34 reviews
27 helpful votes
6. Re: Little help please
Save

Brilliant thank you

Reply to: Little help please
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Betws-y-Coed
Recent Conversations
More Betws-y-Coed Topics
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Ireland. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.