We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lodging within walking distance of cathedral

sandy, utah
Level Contributor
1,194 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Lodging within walking distance of cathedral

We'll be in Salisbury for one night on Tues. May 8th. We'll be trying to get over the effects of jet lag after flying from the western US into Heathrow that morning. I'd like to rent two quiet, reasonably priced rooms that includes breakfast for our family of four, preferably each room with two twin beds, within walking distance of the cathedral and offering free parking until we're ready to leave Salisbury the next day. Do you know of any places that meet all/most of those criterias?

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lodging within walking distance of cathedral

Salisbury is a very small city, and anywhere inside the ring road is no more than a mile from the Cathedral.

Free parking is going to be a problem, I think. It's and oldish place, and there's not a lot of space. I have parked overnight in Brown Street car park when staying at the Red Lion (fine hotel), but you do need to scamper out before 8am (IIRC) to buy a ticket.

Do you have to drive to Salisbury? Could you arrive by public transport and hire the car when you are ready to leave?

Essex
Level Contributor
27,780 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lodging within walking distance of cathedral

I used to stay in Salisbury quite a lot at one time, visiting friends, and can confirm what GN has said about the City Centre being small - it is very walkable. However, because I used to stay in a private home, I don't know any of the 'commercial' accommodations per se.

Have a look at the tourist office website and do an accommodation search there, you can get them to plot-up likely places on a map so that you can compare distances:

www.visitwiltshire.co.uk/salisbury/home

If you see anything you like the look of, check the TA reviews.

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
8,259 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lodging within walking distance of cathedral

The Milford Hall Hotel has car parking, it's about a 10 min walk from the Cathedral. Everything within the city centre is close. Hotel also has a good restaurant.

Have a good trip and enjoy Salisbury.

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lodging within walking distance of cathedral

I think the Rose & Crown in Harnham ( a few minutes to the cathedral through the back gate to the close) also has parking.

Blackwood, United...
Level Contributor
98 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lodging within walking distance of cathedral

I've stayed at the Legacy Rose & Crown Hotel, it's the other side of the river from the cathederal (5 minute walk) and has free parking and twin rooms. It's nothing fabulous but clean and decent.

Edited: 13 January 2012, 21:32
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,127 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lodging within walking distance of cathedral

We stayed at Wyndham Park Lodge when we visited Salisbury. They did have free parking, and the hosts were terrific. It was inside the ring road, uphill from the Cathedral. The breakfast was delicious; I recommend it!

London
Level Contributor
103 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lodging within walking distance of cathedral

Cathedral View is right opposite the cathedral and a lovely place to stay. Best B&B ive stayed in. Top class.

sandy, utah
Level Contributor
1,194 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lodging within walking distance of cathedral

Thanks for the replies. I booked 2 rooms lodging at Cathedral View.

9. Re: Lodging within walking distance of cathedral

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 March 2013, 10:19