We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stonehenge/ Avebury/ White Horses

Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
59 posts
Stonehenge/ Avebury/ White Horses

I am trying to find an old post......

It was a long reply to someones question and gave very specific directions on how to leave Stonehenge and go to all these other cool places! It had a few circle stone locations, white horses, etc. I can't find it anywhere now that I need it! Can anyone help??

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
1. Re: Stonehenge/ Avebury/ White Horses

Use the trip planner here:

http://www.viamichelin.co.uk/web/Itineraires?

The stone circles are at Avebury and the horse is White Horse Hill near Uffington. The logical order would be Stonehenge, then Avebury, then Uffington (or the other way around). Near Avebury is Silbury Hill -

english-heritage.org.uk/server/show/nav.16452

Details of the White Horse here-

- nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-chl/w-countrysid…

Half an hour's walk from the White Horse is Waylands Smithy

- english-heritage.org.uk/server/show/nav.15079

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London, Windsor
Level Contributor
8,056 posts
63 reviews
2. Re: Stonehenge/ Avebury/ White Horses

That rings a bell. I'll see if it's one I responded to, (although I'm not the one with the good directions!)

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,056 posts
63 reviews
3. Re: Stonehenge/ Avebury/ White Horses

Hmmm. Found this thread, but it doesn't quite feel like the one I'm thinking you're thinking of...

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186217-i16-k298…

Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
59 posts
4. Re: Stonehenge/ Avebury/ White Horses

LOL! That thread was not the one......but it did have some good tips!

The one I am thinking of was kind of funny and sarcastic. It read like "So you leave the pile of rocks at Stonehenge, then drive down xyz road for abc miles and VOILA there is an even better stone circle....." Along those lines.

Well, if I can't find it, is anyone up for helping me figure out a neat day trip around the area seeing whatever cool sites are close by (ie: Stonehenge, Avebury, White chalk horses,etc...)? I will have a car and am staying near Wiltshire in a cottage.

Thanks!

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
5. Re: Stonehenge/ Avebury/ White Horses

See reply number 1. It's all in there.

Sometimes, you wonder why you bother.....

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,056 posts
63 reviews
6. Re: Stonehenge/ Avebury/ White Horses

You're staying "near Wiltshire"??? As Wiltshire is an entire county, sounds like you might be in Devon, Cornwall, Somerset or Dorset... or Scotland ☺ What's the name of the town?

Certainly in the Avebury area I'd recommend also visiting the West Kennet Long Barrow, and admire Silbury Hill from there (I love the Long Barrow; Silbury Hill is more a case of 'Oh look; a hillock. Next.' (even though it's the largest prehistoric man-made mound in Europe).

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,056 posts
63 reviews
7. Re: Stonehenge/ Avebury/ White Horses

PoolLounger - I took my brother and SIL on a little tour of the area last summer, including the Uffington Horse. I have to say it's not the most easily viewable white horse, because of the angle it's at. I wonder whether the one at Cherhill is better for viewing. Having said that, at least the Uffington one is prehistoric... most of the others aren't.

But this is also interesting (or maybe not - who knows! I find Stonehenge interesting, many people don't)...

waterscape.com/in-your-area/…caen-hill-locks

and from there you can get to Lacock which is really picturesque and photogenic.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
3,994 posts
62 reviews
8. Re: Stonehenge/ Avebury/ White Horses

Hi PoolLounger.

I think you are missing what bethster is asking for. She /he is asking about a old thread that they would like to reread, and is asking if anybody can help them find it.

Well thats how I read it.

ian480.

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
276 posts
18 reviews
9. Re: Stonehenge/ Avebury/ White Horses

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186414-i1296-k298…

Was it this one? I saved loads of the links in it to my favourites!

Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
59 posts
10. Re: Stonehenge/ Avebury/ White Horses

PoolLounger-

I really do appreciate your time and effort to answer my post. You even included links! Thank you! It will be helpful!

I was trying to find the specific thread because it was very detailed and had really specific driving directions. It also included some other places that sounded really neat and I had never heard of them before!

Thanks to everyone who helps- your input is really great to someone who lives in Arizona and has no idea what she is doing! : )

I am staying at Jasmine Cottage in Steeple Ashton.