We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

England match Saturday

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
74,122 posts
478 reviews
England match Saturday

Greetings all

Can any kind local give me an idea of the most popular pubs in Salisbury for the England game on Saturday as we'd like to avoid them.

We don't mind something low key for an afternoon drink, but not banks of big screens and full on footy mania thanks!

8 replies to this topic
Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Manchester
Level Contributor
2,598 posts
330 reviews
1. Re: England match Saturday

I can’t help you Roj, but I like your style.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
74,122 posts
478 reviews
2. Re: England match Saturday

My wife wouldn't mind keeping an eye on the game. I'm not very interested myself. She doesn't want a loud atmosphere, though with loads of footie shirts everywhere. it's the same when she goes out to watch Wales playing rugby. She prefers quieter places, not the bigger bars where more people tend to congregate.

I've had a quick look at the Haunch of Venison, partly because I like venison, but I'm not sure if it's what we're looking for.

Edited: 05 July 2018, 19:58
Greater London...
Level Contributor
1,417 posts
3. Re: England match Saturday

I too would like to avoid the manic hordes who seem determined to force their interest in the game on everyone else.

The worst case I've heard of so far was the two women in Sheffield - since been branded on social media as the 2 stupidest women in the World - who sat in the front row of a theatre, in the middle of a performance watching the penalty shoot-out on their mobiles and saying 'yesss...' every time England scored.

Total disregard for the play, total lack of respect for the actors (its bad enough when people continue talking on their mobiles when going through supermarket checkouts and completely ignoring the person handling their transaction), but this took moronic behaviour to a totally new level., disregard for the other members of the audience etc etc.

Naturally the actors were completely disgusted and tried to get these brainless pond lifes to stop, but were ignored.

Unfortunately similar, but less extreme behaviour is all too common whenever 'fans' gather for these games - mindless chanting, disregard for other people and property, assumption that the rest of the population is happy to have their lives disrupted and so on.

What a sad reflection on the 'progress' of the human race

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
74,122 posts
478 reviews
4. Re: England match Saturday

Well put, Maestro. My wife has bene enjoying the World Cup, but she doesn't want any of the bad behaviour that goes with it. For my own part, I remember 20 years ago when there were some ugly scenes in West London following England's defeat on penalties to Argentina. I don't expect that in Salisbury, but when alcohol, passion and sunny weather are combined, you never can tell!

All we really want is a quiet drink and a small TV just to see what's happening.

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
2,933 posts
61 reviews
5. Re: England match Saturday

Salisbury bad behaviour never

I would think a hotel bar would be OK

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
74,122 posts
478 reviews
6. Re: England match Saturday

I hope that Salisbury is much more refined and well behaved than Swansea, lol!

That's a good suggestion so thanks. We might go and have a look at the Red Lion.

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
2,933 posts
61 reviews
7. Re: England match Saturday

Where did you go in the end and how did you get on

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
74,122 posts
478 reviews
8. Re: England match Saturday

In the end train delays meant that we got to Salisbury later than anticipated, so my wife had to make do with listening to the game on Radio 5 Live on the train (when she had a signal!).

We found out later that most of the city centre pubs were rammed for the match, they were still very busy at 2100 with lots of singing and England shirts in evidence.

On Sunday we went to the Wig and Quill a lovely pub with good ale, where we discovered that they don't have a TV. So if any visitors to Salisbury want to avoid the football on Wednesday, that looks like a good place to go! The food looks good, too!

Reply to: England match Saturday
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted