We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Salisbury to Stonehenge/Old Sarum via tour bus or self-drive

New South Wales...
Level Contributor
28 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Salisbury to Stonehenge/Old Sarum via tour bus or self-drive

Hi everyone,

In early April 2018 I will be staying in Salisbury for five nights with my parents. We will have a hire car with us. I'm debating whether we should drive to Stonehenge and the Old Sarum (combined entry fee of £21.30 per person) by ourselves, or catch a tour bus which has onboard commentary for £29. Is it just as easy self-driving and parking from Salisbury, or will the tour bus be easier and more informative/beneficial for the extra few pounds?

Would appreciate any thoughts or travellers experiences,

Cass

Edited: 05 November 2017, 00:07
Mentioned in this post
Salisbury
Salisbury
Wiltshire, UK
Stonehenge
Stonehenge
11,766 Reviews
Amesbury, UK
Old Sarum
Old Sarum
1,364 Reviews
Salisbury, UK
5 replies to this topic
Pewsey, United...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire
Level Contributor
9,779 posts
410 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Salisbury to Stonehenge/Old Sarum via tour bus or self-drive

The tour bus is excellent, although the distances involved are not great. Driving is a simple route, good parking, work to your own timing. If you are self driving note that there is a timed ticket system so either book in advance or possibly, just occasionally find a hold up at the ticket booth.

The downside of the tour is that you have to work to their schedule (except for the last leg from Old Sarum to the city centre when you can board any bus), so there might be a nagging ‘should we leave now’ in the back of your mind. The upside is that the tour Bus bypasses the timed ticket system so you always get immediate access and the person who would otherwise be driving can see the countryside.

Mentioned in this post
Old Sarum
Old Sarum
1,364 Reviews
Salisbury, UK
Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London, Windsor
Level Contributor
7,882 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Salisbury to Stonehenge/Old Sarum via tour bus or self-drive

If you have a car anyway, I think I'd be tempted to drive - and then include Avebury stone circle in your day. It's a good contrast to Stonehenge, and you get to see some more pretty countryside.

Mentioned in this post
Avebury Stone Circle
Avebury Stone Circle
1,936 Reviews
Avebury, UK
Stonehenge
Stonehenge
11,766 Reviews
Amesbury, UK
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
1,283 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Salisbury to Stonehenge/Old Sarum via tour bus or self-drive

I did the tour with Salisbury Reds two years ago. Was really happy with the service, expecially with the immediate access system.

Mentioned in this post
Salisbury
Salisbury
Wiltshire, UK
Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
3,650 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Salisbury to Stonehenge/Old Sarum via tour bus or self-drive

If you have a car anyway (especially if you have an allocated parking space) then just drive - makes no sense to use the bus in that instance and good advice to go to Avebury too!

New South Wales...
Level Contributor
28 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Salisbury to Stonehenge/Old Sarum via tour bus or self-drive

Thank you all for you suggestions. I have decided that we will drive to Stonehenge and the Old Sarum. We will be driving to Avebury as well, but on another day of our trip. Thanks again for your help!

Mentioned in this post
Stonehenge
Stonehenge
11,766 Reviews
Amesbury, UK
Old Sarum
Old Sarum
1,364 Reviews
Salisbury, UK
Reply to: Salisbury to Stonehenge/Old Sarum via tour bus or self-drive
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted