We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking in Salisbury for short stay

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
142 posts
Parking in Salisbury for short stay

We are taking a car in the morning from Bath, doing Stonehenge first thing then heading to Salisbury for lunch and a quick visit of the center/cathedral. Any suggestions of where to park for a few hours? We don't mind paying, looking for the simplest options, don't want to waste too much time driving around to save a few pounds, but we would like to be able to walk from the car park to the cathedral/city center. I'm finding a few car park options online, some indicate short stay, but I guess I would qualify?

Buckingham, United...
Destination Expert
for Buckinghamshire, Somme, Winchester
Level Contributor
2,381 posts
2,181 reviews
1. Re: Parking in Salisbury for short stay

Salisbury is a lovely City, not very big so wherever you park in the centre will not be far to walk to cathedral and centre. The link below may assist your decision where you want to park.

https:/…

Wiltshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire
Level Contributor
11,730 posts
449 reviews
2. Re: Parking in Salisbury for short stay

Salisbury is a lovely (largely medieval layout) city and driving in the centre can be a pain, there is an excellent park and ride Service, from the north use route 11, See https://www.salisburyreds.co.uk/parkride/

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
122 reviews
3. Re: Parking in Salisbury for short stay

I would suggest you park in the main car park near Sainsbury's. It's always got spaces, has prices from short to long stay and is only a short walk to the cathedral, which will still allow you to see the central part of town and some of the lovely architecture. We're a very small city! I wouldn't bother wasting time with the park and ride as it can be a bit of a hassle. Hope that helps.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
43,187 posts
104 reviews
4. Re: Parking in Salisbury for short stay

I went to Salisbury last week and attempted to park in the Salisbury central short stay car park (near Sainsbury's. The ticket machines will not take new £1 coins, there is even a sign to that effect. You can pay by phone but that was not an option, so I left....

Wiltshire, England
Level Contributor
310 posts
67 reviews
5. Re: Parking in Salisbury for short stay

We always park in the main car park near Sainsbury's and the theatres. There are both long & short stay options.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
142 posts
6. Re: Parking in Salisbury for short stay

Not reasuring. That is what seems to be indicated online, it says coin and no change given. Is it standard for these parking lots to only accept change, and exact change at that? Would they take credit card? Payment by phone will not be an option for us either. Does anyone know if the parking at the trainstation is more modern (accepting card or at least giving change for bills?). That seems to also be close enough to the center.

Wiltshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire
Level Contributor
11,730 posts
449 reviews
7. Re: Parking in Salisbury for short stay

Hence my offer of the park and ride....I park often in the long stay Central carpark but i prepay on line to avoid the hassle. Most UK parking machines -at least those I encounter- do not give change (and often neither do buses either) the 4 person group return fare for Salisbury park and ride is £4. I am told by the Bus company that “usually the drivers can give change but exact fare appreciated”

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
142 posts
8. Re: Parking in Salisbury for short stay

Thanks. I did like the idea of being able to walk directly instead of having to deal with the shuttle. I don't mind that much not getting change, but it means I have to plan for enough cash ahead of time. Can anyone tell me how much it would be? Do I need coins or are bills accepted? Is there a way for a visitor non UK resident to prepay online? Could you point me to the site please?

Thanks in advance

Wiltshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire
Level Contributor
11,730 posts
449 reviews
9. Re: Parking in Salisbury for short stay

On line parking payment. Try here, but I think it requires a little local knowledge to be most effective https:/…home.aspx I have an account but that is not necessary

Edited: 04 August 2017, 16:20
Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
43,187 posts
104 reviews
10. Re: Parking in Salisbury for short stay

www.wiltshire.gov.uk/findacarpark.htm?ID=68

note what I said about £1 coins. They are planning to upgrade the ticket machines, don't know when though.