We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bike rental for a couple of days in Salisbury?

Argyle, Texas
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Bike rental for a couple of days in Salisbury?

My 15 year old & I are visiting London for the first time in June. I am considering a stay in Salisbury for 2-3 days. It seems to be a good central location for some of the sights we would like to see. Relying on public transportation only (no car rental.) We would like to visit Stonehenge & possibly Avebury. We would also like to see Old Sarum, Old Wardour Castle, & Stourhead. Can we rent bicycles in Salisbury? Would it be possible to visit all of these places by bike? (keep in mind we are relatively fit & active but usually running/walking. Novice cyclists.) Would also love to see Highclere. I thought we might be able to see that on our way back to London...? Would prefer to avoid large tour buses as much as possible but I understand our options are limited without a car. Any advice would be appreciated!

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Salisbury
Salisbury
Wiltshire, UK
Stonehenge
Stonehenge
11,766 Reviews
Amesbury, UK
Old Sarum
Old Sarum
1,364 Reviews
Salisbury, UK
Old Wardour Castle
Old Wardour Castle
288 Reviews
Tisbury, UK
Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
2,595 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bike rental for a couple of days in Salisbury?

old sarum is easy from Salisbury

Salisbury is not a very big city you can walk anywhear in Salisbury but the others by bike is a bit of a risk

Stonehenge is about 9 miles from Salisbury but the roads are not good for bikes but you could go off road on the byways to Stonehenge that would be much safer avebury is a lot further on a bike would take you a day there and back and off road would take you across the army training area and that has its own risks

I don't think that staying in Salisbury for 2 or 3 days visting all the places you have listed by bike will be possible plus you don't know the Wiltshire roads bikes would not be safe

like to get to Stonehenge you would have to cross or ride along the A303 and that is not safe

and I also think it would be to far by bike

as for tour bus,s you can get a tour bus from Salisbury around to old sarum then on to Stonehenge and back but not on to avebury without using a car or taxi it will not be easy

highclere is some way from Salisbury its a bit off route going from Salisbury to London you would go up the A34 and on to London by the M4 instead of the M3

I think you need a car or more time

Mentioned in this post
Salisbury
Salisbury
Wiltshire, UK
Stonehenge
Stonehenge
11,766 Reviews
Amesbury, UK
The Wiltshire
The Wiltshire
385 Reviews
Royal Wootton Bassett, UK
London
London
England, UK
Argyle, Texas
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bike rental for a couple of days in Salisbury?

Thanks so much for the info! Looks like my wish list was a bit too ambitious for our limited time. I've also heard wonderful things about the Cotswolds with its' beautiful walks & bucolic scenery. My daughter is interested in photography so I thought the area sounded very picturesque. Is Salisbury considered part of that area? (and therefore offers many photo opportunities?) Again, thank you for all the helpful information!

Mentioned in this post
Cotswolds
Cotswolds
England, UK
Salisbury
Salisbury
Wiltshire, UK
Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
3,049 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bike rental for a couple of days in Salisbury?

Cycling on main roads can be very hazardous - best to stick to off route tracks or back routes. I don't think I would recommend this for your planned trip. If you are only in Salisbury for a few days you would be best to get the bus to Stonehenge, and perhaps a train elsewhere on another day. Salisbury is not in the Cotswolds.

Mentioned in this post
Salisbury
Salisbury
Wiltshire, UK
Stonehenge
Stonehenge
11,766 Reviews
Amesbury, UK
Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
2,595 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bike rental for a couple of days in Salisbury?

lots to photo on Salisbury plane and around Salisbury

Mentioned in this post
Salisbury
Salisbury
Wiltshire, UK
Pewsey, United...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire
Level Contributor
9,779 posts
410 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bike rental for a couple of days in Salisbury?

Stourhead is 30 miles from Salisbury, old Wardour castle about the same so they are too far for novice cyclists (you have to come back too!). Public transport (train) can get you to within 3-4 mikes of either then you are on your own, I have to advise that these look too difficult.

The better news is that Stonehenge and Old Sarum can be visited via http://www.thestonehengetour.info/

Avebury can be reached by public transport by the 47bus from Swindon, if using Salisbury as a base you can get the X5 bus from Salisbury to Swindon and connect with the 47 there. However you need to also around 2.5 hours each way - the good part of that outing is that with the notable exception of Swindon (!) it is through lovely countryside (but not the Cotswolds)

Mentioned in this post
Salisbury
Salisbury
Wiltshire, UK
Stonehenge
Stonehenge
11,766 Reviews
Amesbury, UK
Old Sarum
Old Sarum
1,364 Reviews
Salisbury, UK
Swindon
Swindon
Wiltshire, UK
6. Re: Bike rental for a couple of days in Salisbury?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 January 2018, 05:17