We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stop over in Salisbury

Maitland, Australia
Level Contributor
61 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Stop over in Salisbury

My husband and I will be travelling by car from London to Wookey next Saturday where we will stop over on our road trip through England. I was thinking we might take a break for a something to eat and a look around in Salisbury for a couple of hours. We are Australian and have visited Stonehenge and Salisbury briefly on a previous UK bus tour. Is Salisbury a good choice to take a break from the road? Any suggestions for a relaxing eating venue? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

2 replies to this topic
Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
3,694 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stop over in Salisbury

There is a 'park and ride' in Salisbury whereby you park the car and get the bus into town - otherwise you will find yourself driving around for ages looking for a parking space when you may not be familiar with all the painted lines. Ask for the stop at the Marketplace where there will be many types of places to eat. I recommend The Haunch of Venison pub but there are lots of good places to eat. If the weather is okay then you can find somewhere along the river. If you stay overnight in the area it might be an idea to stay at one that offers parking. www.parkopedia.co.uk might have a parking app to download before you visit us.

Edited: 21 August 2017, 08:16
Cheltenham, United...
Destination Expert
for Cotswolds
Level Contributor
3,214 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stop over in Salisbury

I can't remember the details but we got into a terrible mess with Salisbury Park and Ride, not realising there are 3 locations - so we got on a bus with destination Park and Ride - wrong! So make a note of which P&R and which bus service to use to get back. Great city to visit.

Reply to: Stop over in Salisbury
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Wiltshire