We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Large and secure luggage storage in Newcastle?

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
305 posts
3 reviews
Large and secure luggage storage in Newcastle?

I'm leaving the UK for good and will most likely leave by ferry to Amsterdam. I'll come by train from Scotland.

There are two things I'd love to do nearby, go to a pit brow lass exhibition in Bishop Auckland and/or visit the Angel of the North. I'll be travelling with a backpack, big suitcase and a musical instrument in a 110cm long casing. Is there a secure possibility to leave the suitcase and instrument so I can explore the north for a few hours before taking the metro to the ferry terminal?

Thanks.

8 replies to this topic
newcastle,uk
Level Contributor
189 posts
25 reviews
1. Re: Large and secure luggage storage in Newcastle?

There is no left luggage at the train station. But opposite the train station front door is Central News,36 Neville Street, with luggage storage. You can book at leftit.co uk

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
305 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Large and secure luggage storage in Newcastle?

Thanks a lot. I'm a bit unsure whether this really is secure, considering "The store has CCTV and has space for over 20 bags at the rear of the premises." If this is similar to what some shops do with parcels then it's not really secure. Maybe not a good idea to explore the north for a few hours... :(

newcastle,uk
Level Contributor
189 posts
25 reviews
3. Re: Large and secure luggage storage in Newcastle?

Bishop Auckland is around 30 miles from Newcastle. You can get the X21 bus from Newcastle to Bishop Auckland direct. Takes around 1.5 hours. You could save 30 minutes by getting a train from Newcastle to Durham and joining the X21 from Durham Bus Station to Bishop Auckland. Buses run every 30 minutes. The X21 bus goes past the angle of the north. So you could get out and see it.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
305 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Large and secure luggage storage in Newcastle?

Yes, I know how to get to Bishop Auckland. I'm just worried about leaving an expensive instrument and all the stuff I need for 3-4 weeks at a location that doesn't sound quite that secure.

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
15,417 posts
7 reviews
5. Re: Large and secure luggage storage in Newcastle?

Do you mean *hour* or *weeks*? For 3-4 weeks I'd suggest a self-store place.

https:/…

"5 minutes from Newcastle Central station"

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
305 posts
3 reviews
6. Re: Large and secure luggage storage in Newcastle?

Sorry for being unclear. I'm moving away from the UK but might have at least half a day in Newcastle considering the Newcastle-Amsterdam ferry leaves at 17:00. I'm having with me an expensive musical instrument and a suitcase full of stuff to cover the first 3-4 weeks in a new country until my furniture arrives and I'm able to move into my flat. I'd be in deep sh it if either the suitcase or the instrument vanished in a not so secure storage while exploring the north during those few hours.

newcastle,uk
Level Contributor
189 posts
25 reviews
7. Re: Large and secure luggage storage in Newcastle?

Leaving it at central news you are insured upto £750 for theft or accidental damage. The only other place I can think of is Safe store on forth street. They have units you can lock yourself with your own pad lock. Don’t know the cost .

Northumberland...
Level Contributor
636 posts
36 reviews
8. Re: Large and secure luggage storage in Newcastle?

I used Central News last week to leave a bag, it was fine, but basically they leave the bags in a corridor behind the cash desk, I personally expected more, however I'm sure it's fine for a few hours, mine was. You are given a raffle ticket which you need to retrieve your bag.

Reply to: Large and secure luggage storage in Newcastle?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Newcastle upon Tyne
Recent Conversations