We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Short train ride to cross the Tyne?

Milton Keynes...
Level Contributor
94 posts
106 reviews
Save Topic
Short train ride to cross the Tyne?

We will be staying for two nights in Newcastle with our newly teenage grandson next month and want to give him a flavour of the place, which we love.

We will arrive on the afternoon of day 1 and then have two full days to explore. One day will be a trip to Beamish by car and we have the other day and all three late afternoon/evenings to see as much as we can.

As I love coming into Newcastle Central from the south across the Tyne I'd like to see if we can do a short train journey so we do that. Am I right in thinking that we could get on a train at Dunston and alight at Newcastle Central? Any alternative suggestions?

Weather permitting we want to take him out to South Shields and North Shields or Whitley Bay on the metro. Which is the nicest route from the central station using the metro out to the coast, cross the Tyne on the ferry and back onto the metro back into the centre?

We will be walking a lot and I know we won't have time to do everything we'd like but suggestions for making the best use of the time we have in Newcastle very welcome.

Mentioned in this post
Newcastle
Newcastle
County Down, UK
South Shields
South Shields
Tyne and Wear, UK
Whitley Bay
Whitley Bay
209 Reviews
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
City Sightseeing Newcastle Hop-On...
17 Reviews
US$11 per adult
Free Cancellation
Historical Walking Tour of Newcastle
14 Reviews
US$34 per adult
Free Cancellation
Gory Walking Tour of Newcastle
10 Reviews
US$34 per adult
Free Cancellation
4 replies to this topic
Gateshead, United...
Level Contributor
347 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Short train ride to cross the Tyne?

Yep, you can get on a train at Dunston to Newcastle Central, however I think it would be easier to get on the train at Metrocentre. The 100 bus runs regularly from Newcastle City Centre to Metrocentre, you can do some shopping or whatever, then get the train from the station over the Tyne to get the view.

As for going to the coast, I'd recommend either getting the Metro to South Shields, taking the ferry over the Tyne (it's included in the price of an ABC Metro ticket) then getting on at North Shields to return, or taking the Metro to Whitley Bay, walking down the beach to Tynemouth, and getting on the Metro there. The latter is definitely prettier, but the ferry has its appeal too if your grandson is into that sort of thing. Whatever works best for you.

Mentioned in this post
Newcastle
Newcastle
County Down, UK
South Shields
South Shields
Tyne and Wear, UK
Whitley Bay
Whitley Bay
209 Reviews
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Tynemouth
Tynemouth
Tyne and Wear, UK
Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
197 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Short train ride to cross the Tyne?

You might consider the 15 minute train ride from Durham to Newcastle.

The Whitley Bay to Newcastle coast route takes in a view of the sea as well as the original Victorian stations of Cullercoats & Tynemouth, followed by a great view of the Tyne from Byker into the city.

Mentioned in this post
Durham
Durham
Durham, UK
Newcastle
Newcastle
County Down, UK
Whitley Bay
Whitley Bay
209 Reviews
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Tynemouth
Tynemouth
Tyne and Wear, UK
Milton Keynes...
Level Contributor
94 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Short train ride to cross the Tyne?

Thanks both - that's just the kind of local knowledge I was after.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
92 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Short train ride to cross the Tyne?

Another shout for the short train ride to Durham. You get to see the view from the bridge going to Durham and coming back, and also get to visit a very nice little city with a world class cathedral and castle. Very frequent trains and cheap and easy to do.

Mentioned in this post
Durham
Durham
Durham, UK
Reply to: Short train ride to cross the Tyne?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Newcastle upon Tyne