We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suffolk destination

London, United...
Level Contributor
114 posts
18 reviews
Suffolk destination

I am thinking of staying in Suffolk this weekend to celebrate my husbands birthday, I am torn between Tuddenham mill or the swan Hotel in Lavenham, although we have visited Coastal suffolk i.e southwold & aldeburgh , we would like to see a different part but as we do not know the area I am unsure which would be the most interesting, taking into account how awful the weather has and will be I suspect this weekend, we need things to do/see inside?

Any advice or inspiration appreciated(other than changing his birthday to August!)

Many Thanks

10 replies to this topic
Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,816 posts
92 reviews
1. Re: Suffolk destination

I'd definitely pick Lavenham (although the food at Tuddenham Mill is excellent).

Lavenham will give you much more to see and do although of course many places are closed (Kentwell, Long Melford Hall etc).

Lavenham is picture postcard pretty and has lots of little galleries, shops and tearooms to explore. Long Melford is very close by and is famous for its antique shops. Both places are lovely to browse in, and both places have absolutely magnificent (and huge) 'wool' churches which are well worth visiting.

Lavenham is about 20 mins drive away from Bury St Edmunds (as is Tuddenham). Bury, as it is always known, is home to the Greene King Brewery and they do tours. Maybe this is something that would appeal to your husband?

https:/…

Bury also has a beautiful little theatre. And it has an excellent market held on a Saturday.

London, United...
Level Contributor
446 posts
17 reviews
2. Re: Suffolk destination

Lavernham is fantastic- Tudor houses, antiques, pubs.The swan is wonderful- much loved by the Americans during the war. Long Melford and Clare are also fab and great to visit.

Loughton, United...
Level Contributor
6,831 posts
391 reviews
3. Re: Suffolk destination

Lavenham fine. I'd recommend a drive to Dedham and the Constable country, not that far away. Dedham also has hotel and a well-rated tearoom

TX
Level Contributor
5,909 posts
38 reviews
4. Re: Suffolk destination

We spent several nights in a self-catering cottage almost directly across the street from the delightful Greyhound Pub in Lavenham about 10 months ago. Lavenham was truly one of the most charming places we've ever visited in the UK, and we enjoyed it so much that we're planning to incorporate a day trip there on our upcoming trip this year (we'll travel by train from Ely). Lav is picture-postcard-perfect, and the people are just lovely. We had afternoon tea at The Swan, as well as a couple of meals in the bar and absolutely loved it there.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
3,181 posts
213 reviews
5. Re: Suffolk destination

Lavenham has it all including romance in an historical location.

There are also some other outstanding and nearby places to stay and/or eat in this beautiful part of England including,

http://www.blacklionhotel.net/dining-room.htm

http://www.hintleshamhall.co.uk/

http://www.milsomhotels.com/maisontalbooth/

Regards

Edited: 13 January 2014, 21:48
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
791 posts
180 reviews
6. Re: Suffolk destination

Lavenham isn't quite the place it once was, the antiques trade is but a shadow of its former self, and many of the shops are no more. Last year in February it was quiet to say the least. With regard to the Swan Hotel, its definitely a building full of character and the food is good, we however found the service to be a little OTT, an example being I Ieft the dinner table to answer a call of nature, as soon as I left the table a member of staff came to the table and refolded my napkin, on my return she followed me across the room, assisted me to the table, shook out the folded napkin and placed it on my lap. From the reviews however its obvious that many are happy, indeed welcome this level of attention.

London, United...
Level Contributor
114 posts
18 reviews
7. Re: Suffolk destination

Thank you all for very valuable and positive information, Lavenham it is ….

8. Re: Suffolk destination

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11 July 2014, 08:35

London
Level Contributor
854 posts
1 review
9. Re: Suffolk destination

Your informatiion is useful, Gordon, though I think Rabbit and her husband have most probably had their weekend away by now.

Lavenham, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
79 reviews
10. Re: Suffolk destination

Historic medieval Lavenham and the surrounding area has some of the prettiest countryside in England. Charming picture postcard pretty cottages with neopolitan ice cream colours and thatched roofs, stately homes and gorgeous gardens. We are also at the heart of Constable country and a haven for artists. Great local pubs and fresh produce are always on hand so what's not to like? Come and visit us year round and enjoy all we have to offer.

Reply to: Suffolk destination
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Lavenham