We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

B&B or Hotel

Great Falls...
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
B&B or Hotel

I'm planning a trip to Bath next summer and trying to decide if I should stay in a B&B or a hotel. Does anyone have suggestions?

Thanks - aolguy

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,512 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: B&B or Hotel

Hi

Welcome to the Bath forum and well done for planning your trip so far in advance (something I NEVER manage to do!).

Bath has a good mix of accommodation so there is bound to be somewhere that you'll enjoy. With a few notable exceptions (Travelodge/Holiday Inn Express/Hilton) both the hotels and the B&B's are in historic buildings (mostly 150-250years old).

Once inside the properties, they could be very contemporary or perhaps crammed full of antique paintings and furnishings (don't worry, the mattresses ought to be a bit more modern!). Further down the budget, you could easily find fittings supplied by IKEA. It is perhaps worth mentioning that a huge number of the properties you could visit are "listed" (which means that double-glazing and aircon just aren't going to be permitted) so do bear this in mind if that is important to you.

Otherwise, what is a difference between an hotel and a B&B in Bath: It depends! Here are some of my thoughts:

- Many Bath hotels are quite small, but you are more likely to encounter the owners in B&B's (though many of these will hire staff too)

- I suppose that most hotels will have a bar (though plenty of the smarter B&B's can give you drinks) and many might have restaurants and offer room service (though again, there are many great drinking holes and restaurants within staggering distance in central Bath).

- Parking can be tricky in Bath (some places will charge, others will direct you to a council car park, others will give you a free place)

- Wifi - if they offer it, I am guessing that charges will be lower in B&B's.

Many B&B's ask for a 2 night minimum stay at weekends

BTW, if you are staying for a few days you could also rent an apartment.

Great Falls...
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: B&B or Hotel

Thanks much for the advice! Very helpful.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: B&B or Hotel

We found this website helpful when planning our trip last year -

http://visitbath.co.uk/

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
101 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: B&B or Hotel

Bailbrook House Hotel is good - 15 mins flat walk into town or bus stop outside, good rates if weekend, nice bar and spacious rooms, usually its cheaper than the central ones. You can also walk from here to Bathampton Weir which has the toll bridge and a great pub that you can relax in for lunch, not sure of the name of the pub but this is a very pretty area that not many tourists see. Its also at the bottom of Solsbury Hill, where Peter Gabriel wrote his son, also great walk if you are here for a few days.

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
190 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: B&B or Hotel

If you like chilling and relaxing I would rent a flat/apartment, you can then do what you want when you want.Hotels aren t that cheap in Bath and B n B s can be a bit racey pricewise.

You may care to look up The Townhouse website, friends of ours have stayed there a few times and had a great time, its in central Bath and all the attractions are on the doorstep.

Good hunting

boston,ma.
Level Contributor
540 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: B&B or Hotel

My wife and I stayed in the White Hart in Widcombe last October. Nice B&B over an award winning gastro pub. 3 minute walk to the train station, it's over the river behind the train station. The rooms were simple but clean and very inexpensive for Bath. In the 50 pound range.

Edited: 12 December 2009, 21:01
Mountain View...
Level Contributor
322 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: B&B or Hotel

We stayed at 3 Abbey Green in Summer of 2008 and loved its convenient location. It was just a short stroll (about 1 block) to the Abbey and Roman Baths. It was more expensive than many places that were further from the center of Bath, but it was worth the price to be so conveniently located to everything.

Dublin
Level Contributor
130 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: B&B or Hotel

My favourite place is the Carfax Hotel located in middle of famous Pultney Street, short stroll to centre of town. There is parking for residents at the rear and 10 minute walk to main station. Some lovely rooms - only drawback is no bar/licence but there is a residents lounge with computer access. Bath is pricey for accommodation and good B and B is hard to find.

A

9. Re: B&B or Hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 July 2010, 06:18
Get answers to your questions about Bath