We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accomodation around bath

adelaide
Level Contributor
190 posts
92 reviews
Accomodation around bath

We are travelling to bath in mid October and looking for accomodation with car parking. I have been told that we could stay at bathampton and hop on a boat that will takes us down the Avon river, to bath. Is there any other villages that would be similar. We are a couple and looking for accomodation that has secure parking and we dont want to be driving around bath. We will only be there for one night.

Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
5,728 Reviews
from US$123.00*
Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor and Bath with Pub...
2,269 Reviews
from US$125.70*
Best Seller
Stonehenge and Bath Day Trip from...
560 Reviews
from US$85.60*
5 replies to this topic
United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hood's Bay, Whitby
Level Contributor
5,160 posts
221 reviews
1. Re: Accomodation around bath

There is the Pulteney Princess but that seems an expensive way of traveling in and out of Bath and is more of a pleasure cruise:

https://www.pulteneyprincess.co.uk

Other options are hotels such as the Travelodge and Holiday Inn Express, which both have secure parking for an additional fee in Bath itself. You could also stay out of Bath and use the excellent Park and Ride buses to get in/out of Bath. You can also walk in to Bath from Bathampton along the Kennet and Avon canal, which is lovely (and flat apart from the brief lock flight).

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,782 posts
69 reviews
2. Re: Accomodation around bath

There are a few hotels?B&B's that are fairly central (so 5 or so minute's walk into town) that have onsite parking

This list isn't exhaustive (and my guess at increasing order of price):

Holiday Inn Express

Travelodge Waterside

The Ayrlington

Pulteney House

Roseate Villa

The County

Macdonald Bath Spa

There are plenty on/near Wellsway, but those are more of a walk away on a fairly steep hill)

If you didn't want to stay in Bath itself another option would be somewhere in/near Bradford on Avon (and drive/walk to the station there).

adelaide
Level Contributor
190 posts
92 reviews
3. Re: Accomodation around bath

Thank you. I have looked at Branford on Avon, looks a pretty place. If I catch the train, what’s the best method of payment. I will be coming from London, where I will be travelling outside of the underground and using trains, can I incorporate this into a travel card or? If I don’t catch a train is there a boat that goes to bath? If we decide to use the Parknride, where’s the best place?

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,782 posts
69 reviews
4. Re: Accomodation around bath

Hi again

For your travel on Network Rail (so trains, not London Underground) you need to buy individual tickets for each journey. You can buy these online in advance with a credit/debit card and collect them from a station that you name (for the journey down from London look for something called an ADVANCE fare - like the budget airlines the train companies release a few tickets in very cheap price bands and the cost increases as more tickets for that train are sold). For shorter journeys you can just arrive at the train station and use GBP or a credit/debit card to buy from a ticket off or a ticket machine.

Your options for getting from Bradford on Avon to Bath are the train or a bus (the train will be quicker).

The River Avon that flows through Bath is quite small and has several weirs so a boat isn't an option.

Just to confuse things further (so you might change your mind and look at Batheaston or Bathampton/Bathford) I've just remembered that the church in Bathampton has the grave of Captain Arthur Philip (landed in Australia in 1788 and named "Sydney") bath-heritage.co.uk/australia_chapel.html.

Local legend/boat trip commentary has it that he ought normally to have been buried in the Abbey but his behaviour at the time was frowned upon by the local bigwigs.

As for Park and Rides it rather depends where you are staying. From Bradford I would go to Odd Down.

bathnes.gov.uk/services/…park-and-ride

Shrewsbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canary Islands
Level Contributor
6,549 posts
664 reviews
5. Re: Accomodation around bath

We stayed at a bed and breakfast called Henrietta House, it is beautiful and very close to the centre of Bath.

If you request it, they provide you with a parking permit so you can park on the street outside there premises, I seem to remember there was a small charge for the permit.

Reply to: Accomodation around bath
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bath
Recent Conversations