We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Timed tickets for Roman Baths

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
185 posts
5 reviews
Timed tickets for Roman Baths

for our visit in August- I see that it's suggested to get tickets ahead of time for the Roman Baths. We'll be there 2 full days- Thurs and Fri- I figured the first day would be the Mayor's Tour and the Baths, and the second a minibus tour to Stonehenge, Salisbury, and Cotswold villages.

The Mayor's Tour is available at 10:30 and 2- so we could do morning tour, and visit the Roman Baths in the afternoon, or vice versa.

Which is preferable for the Baths? When you buy tickets online you need to specify an exact time, you're not just buying a general ticket to show up anytime. I wish I didn't have to decide ahead what time we'll go, but I guess that's the way it is!

13 replies to this topic
Wiltshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire
Level Contributor
11,683 posts
448 reviews
1. Re: Timed tickets for Roman Baths

I’d do the Mayor’s tour first to get the wider perspective on the city before then visiting the particular - the Baths.

Netanya, Israel
Level Contributor
13,313 posts
29 reviews
2. Re: Timed tickets for Roman Baths

IIRC, the Roman Baths tickets are dated, but not timed. Please check me out on this still. You'll be booking at the Visit Bath site anyway. You do need to collect your tickets from the Tourist Information booth ( very central, you won't miss it ), but that's it.

Yuri.

Naalehu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,091 posts
70 reviews
3. Re: Timed tickets for Roman Baths

Go to the Roman Bath website and read the FAQs. You do buy a ticket for an allocated entry time. And you can print the ticket at home, thus skipping the step of stopping anywhere else for tickets.

We majorly enjoyed the hop-on-hop-off bus around Bath. We did the Mayor's walking tour, too, and enjoyed that, but the bus covers even more ground.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
185 posts
5 reviews
4. Re: Timed tickets for Roman Baths

ok, thank you all.

I think we'll do the Mayor's tour in the morning, and then the hop-on/hop-off and Roman Baths the rest of the day. Still have to come up with the best time for the Baths.

Naale- did you actually get on and off, or just ride the circuit to see everything? If so, which stops in particular did you like?

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,796 posts
69 reviews
5. Re: Timed tickets for Roman Baths

Those buses are fairly regular. They always seem to be driving around the city.

The ticket is valid for 24 hours (not a day) so it would be really sensible to use it for an afternoon and then the morning of the following day.

You will cover quite a bit of the red route on the Mayor of Bath tour (but you will get a different perspective from the top floor of a bus.

Looking at the map of the 2 routes on the company's web page, I would save the "yellow"/skyline route for the warmer. clearer day. If you wanted to venture off the tourist track, alight at the stop for Abbey Cemetery. You could then walk back down into town along Church St and Church Lane past Widcombe Manor and St Thomas a Beckett Church and down Widcombe Hill. On the red route, you might want to get off at stops 9 or 10 as you don't spend long in this area on the walking tour. 12 is close to the Botanical Gardens and the Dell in Victoria Park.

You can get into the Baths until 9pm (closes 10pm) in the Summer. Most of it is under cover (worth bearing in mind if rain is forecast).

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
185 posts
5 reviews
6. Re: Timed tickets for Roman Baths

thx for the details on the routes and stops.

Our second day- when I thought we'd do the all day minibus tour- I'm really hesitant about the 8:20am start. I see that you can also go to Stonehenge on a 4 hr tour, leaving at 2pm. If we did that instead, we could do the morning on the hop on/off bus with the rest of the 24 hr ticket. (I don't know how messed up we'll be time-wise, 2 days after arriving.)

I wonder if you really have to book the minibus tours- whether the all-day one or the afternoon to Stonehenge- more than a few days ahead?

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London, Windsor
Level Contributor
8,056 posts
63 reviews
7. Re: Timed tickets for Roman Baths

Yuri

You mentioned the Tourist Information place. Just for info, it's moved to Terrace Walk, where the coaches stop to let tourists on and off.

Netanya, Israel
Level Contributor
13,313 posts
29 reviews
8. Re: Timed tickets for Roman Baths

Thank you. Still superbly central, isn't it?

Yuri.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
12,970 posts
64 reviews
9. Re: Timed tickets for Roman Baths

The Roman Baths are open until late evening in August.

Naalehu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,091 posts
70 reviews
10. Re: Timed tickets for Roman Baths

bluewater, sorry for not responding. Our internet was out for four days due to forest fires in Colorado.

We had two full days in Bath, so we stayed on the hop-on-hop-off bus for the whole tour the first time, then used it to get around to various places after we got the lay of the land. It was really easy to jump on and off at different locations around the city. And, as someone pointed out, the ticket is good for 24 hours, not just a calendar day.

Reply to: Timed tickets for Roman Baths
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted