We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stonehenge to Bath - Early Morning

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Topic
Stonehenge to Bath - Early Morning

I'm looking at doing the early morning Special Access on 5/5. I can get to Amesbury from London fine the evening before, but I'm having trouble finding any transport to Bath the next morning before 1030. I don't really want to spend 5 hours at Stonehenge - do you know of any cheap options to get to Bath in the morning?

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Stonehenge
Stonehenge
11,760 Reviews
Amesbury, UK
Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
5,512 Reviews
from US$123.50*
Free Cancellation
Stonehenge, Windsor and Bath with Pub...
2,195 Reviews
from US$126.20*
Free Cancellation
Stonehenge and Bath Day Trip from...
506 Reviews
from US$85.90*
Free Cancellation
8 replies to this topic
Pewsey, United...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire
Level Contributor
9,769 posts
409 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stonehenge to Bath - Early Morning

How are you getting from Amesbury to Stonehenge in the first place - walking? it’s just over 2 Miles each way from the village , and further on to the visitor centre at around 4 Miles using a safe route (not sure but you might need to check in there for special access)

You could walk back to central Amesbury and pick up a bus to Salisbury then the train to Bath. (Luggage?) But knowing how you plan to get TO Stonehenge will help suggestions for getting FROM Stonehenge. I suspect you need a taxi and that solves the problem, at a price.

Bus from Amesbury to Salisbury - details at https://assets.goaheadbus.com/media/timetabl…

Mentioned in this post
Stonehenge
Stonehenge
11,760 Reviews
Amesbury, UK
Salisbury
Salisbury
Wiltshire, UK
England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
5,310 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stonehenge to Bath - Early Morning

At that time in the morning I am not sure that any walking route from Amesbury to Stonehenge is particularly advisable !

I'm afraid that unless you want to walk back to Amesbury to collect your luggage, you will need to pre-book a taxi to take you from Stonehenge to Salisbury Rail Station, from where trains run every hour to Bath. On the positive side, 5th May 2018 is a Saturday, so there should be no problem in finding one available at that time of the morning.

P-t-B

Edited: 30 January 2018, 09:27
Mentioned in this post
Stonehenge
Stonehenge
11,760 Reviews
Amesbury, UK
Salisbury
Salisbury
Wiltshire, UK
Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
3,650 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stonehenge to Bath - Early Morning

Why are you travelling to Amesbury from London and not Salisbury?

If Stonehenge is just a bucket-list stop for you, you might be better off getting one of those coach trips form London that does Stonehenge and Bath in one day.

If not perhaps look at these websites: www.thestonehengetour.info

www.andersontours.co.uk

stonehenge-tours.com/stonehenge-special-acce…

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Salisbury
Salisbury
Wiltshire, UK
Stonehenge
Stonehenge
11,760 Reviews
Amesbury, UK
Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London, Windsor
Level Contributor
7,882 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stonehenge to Bath - Early Morning

I see you can 'do' 05.30am and 06.45 on the 5th. Which one were you going for? You will have an hour there, whichever you choose.

Personally, I'd stay in Salisbury (and visit it the day before; well worth a look) and get a taxi to take me to Stonehenge and arrange to pick me up again in 90 minutes (on the basis you have to be there 15 mins beforehand, and give you 5 or 10 mins afterwards to go to the loo (if they're open). I doubt the shop will be open, but I could be wrong.

First train from Salisbury is at 06.07 (timetables only go up til April at the moment, but I assume they will be the same). Strange mix of 1/2 hourly and hourly-ish departures, and will take about an hour.

Pre-order a guidebook for you to pick up when you arrive at Stonehenge so that you'll know what you're looking at as there are no audioguides (or download an audioguide, I guess).

Mentioned in this post
Salisbury
Salisbury
Wiltshire, UK
Stonehenge
Stonehenge
11,760 Reviews
Amesbury, UK
Green Bay, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Stonehenge to Bath - Early Morning

Thanks for the advice - I wasn't planning on walking, read that I could reserve a cab pretty cheap. What would a cab run from Salisbury to Stonehenge?

Mentioned in this post
Salisbury
Salisbury
Wiltshire, UK
Pewsey, United...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire
Level Contributor
9,769 posts
409 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stonehenge to Bath - Early Morning

edited to add more details

Edited: 30 January 2018, 14:52
Pewsey, United...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire
Level Contributor
9,769 posts
409 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stonehenge to Bath - Early Morning

Budget for £20-£25 one way plus waiting time.

These people have received good recommendations very recently https://www.allthesevens.co.uk/

See link on this page to download the audio guide app visit-stonehenge.co.uk/download-stonehenge-a…

Edited: 30 January 2018, 14:52
Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
12,326 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stonehenge to Bath - Early Morning

Don't be tempted to do one of the 'Stonehenge and Bath' in a day coach tours: plenty of time on a bus, not much at Stonehenge, and nowhere near enough in Bath.

Mentioned in this post
Stonehenge
Stonehenge
11,760 Reviews
Amesbury, UK
Reply to: Stonehenge to Bath - Early Morning
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bath