We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 night stay- single mom and 5 yr old

San Diego...
8 posts
4 night stay- single mom and 5 yr old

I am hoping to stay in Bath for 4 nights with my 5 yr old. We will be taking the train to Bath and won't have a car. I am hoping to find a B&B for us to use as our travel base and then take little day trips. Does anyone know of a safe B&B close to the train station/city center that would be easy to get to? I am concerned about having to walk too far with luggage and a small child. Ideally I'd love and inn keeper who really knows the area well and can give us some insider tips for visiting local sites. Any suggestions?

Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
5,728 Reviews
from US$123.40*
Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor and Bath with Pub...
2,269 Reviews
from US$126.10*
Best Seller
Stonehenge and Bath Day Trip from...
560 Reviews
from US$85.90*
11 replies to this topic
Southampton
Level Contributor
4,876 posts
25 reviews
1. Re: 4 night stay- single mom and 5 yr old

I can't recommend anywhere because I never stay overnight in Bath, but it's small, and you won't be killed. It's not America.

I also don't think someone who runs a pub is going to have time to be your tour guide, but I might be wrong. Every B&B I have ever stayed in has had lots of leaflets, maps and guidebooks available. Plus you will probably see the proprietors (and other guests, who might be helpful) at breakfast and I am sure most would do their best to answer any questions you might have. But they probably wouldn't plan your holiday.

I recommend looking at some tourism websites (visit Bath, Roman Baths etc) to see if this is really the place you imagine it to be. Then browse B&B reviews. The station is right in the centre of the city. You can always get a taxi to your accommodation if you need to. Really nothing to worry about.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,297 posts
217 reviews
2. Re: 4 night stay- single mom and 5 yr old

B&Bs here are not like those in the US. They’re usually a budget option used by people who can’t offord a hotel or don’t want to spend more than they need to. They are generally spare rooms in people’s houses, with no guest lounge or bar. There will be a room in which breakfast is served. Owners will be pleasant but they’ll be busy cleaning, cooking and serving breakfast, often going off to their day job straight afterwards. These days more upmarket options usually market themselves as boutique hotels, with prices to match.

If, however, you plan to stay in an “Inn”, ie a pub, bear in mind it may be noisy at night, particularly if the bedrooms are above the bar. The lounge may actually be the bar so check they will allow children and decided if you’re comfortable with that.

United States
Level Contributor
1,964 posts
3. Re: 4 night stay- single mom and 5 yr old

What about Barh appeals to you, that you want to stay for several days?

And what sort of nightly budget (in GBP, please) did you have in mind?

Where will you be going afterwards?

I can't imagine you would be remotely unsafe, other than attempting to drive jet-lagged, or not looking right before crossing the street.

Edited: 22 January 2018, 06:13
Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
12,793 posts
63 reviews
4. Re: 4 night stay- single mom and 5 yr old

Wells is a lovely day trip, there are buses direct from Bath. You can also catch a bus from Wells to Glastonbury.

I have sent you a private mail with a suggestion for a B&B.

Edited: 22 January 2018, 06:39
Cotswolds, United...
8 posts
1 review
5. Re: 4 night stay- single mom and 5 yr old

The Francis hotel in Bath is just 10 min walk from the train station and children under 13yrs can stay free of charge (according the booking.com!) it’s from around £100 per night and more over weekends but if you want to be within walking distance it’s a great spot to get to the city centre and the many things to do in Bath.

I recommend 2 days in Bath and a few days exploring some more of the Cotswolds but if you are relying on public transport then this could take a bit more planning time!

Warwickshire...
Destination Expert
for Cotswolds, Rome, London
Level Contributor
3,814 posts
107 reviews
6. Re: 4 night stay- single mom and 5 yr old

"Does anyone know of a safe B&B close to the train station/city center that would be easy to get to?"

I cannot recommend anywhere but you will struggle to find an unsafe place to stay in Bath (and much of the rest of the country come to that).

Four nights does seem a little excessive for Bath but I guess it depends on the rest of your plans.

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,782 posts
69 reviews
7. Re: 4 night stay- single mom and 5 yr old

Bath is a safe city, no need to worry about that. What sort of budget do you have in mind (GBP per night).

If you were thinking about budget accommodation, and you didn't mind using a regular (university shuttle) bus service, I would look at the Youth Hostel on Bathwick Hill. It is a lovely old building and it is currently undergoing a substantial refurbishment/adding more family rooms, re-opening in April. I've taken my young daughter to a few youth hostels (the demographic tends to be from about 4-70). That gives you the opportunity to self-cater (which might be very useful if your daughter is likely to take a few days to adapt to UK time) and you might also bump into families with children of a similar age.

Towards the other end of the price scale, the Macdonald Bath Spa has a swimming pool/spa and large grounds and is minutes from a small park and the canal yet 10 minutes' walk from the city centre. The Royal Crescent Hotel and the Priory can also pander to the whims of a small child at a price.

B&B's tend to be quite smart in Bath (because people are willing to pay for a historic or beautiful contemporary interior). The same goes for apartments.

You could do worse than start by looking on the local tourist office website https://visitbath.co.uk/accommodation

By the way, there is a lovely childrens' playground at the south end of Royal Victoria Park should your daughter get bored with the touristy stuff.

Lancashire, United...
Level Contributor
19,690 posts
76 reviews
8. Re: 4 night stay- single mom and 5 yr old

There are a few B&B's on Upper Bristol Road which are a very short walk into the city centre and around the corner from the above mentioned childrens playground in Royal Victoria Park.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReview…

You might also want to check out The Egg children's theatre which is part of the Theatre Royal.

https:/…

Bristol is worth a day trip too and is easy to get to on the train from Bath. Lot's of things to do there for young kids, such as We The Curious, M Shed, Bristol Zoo etc.

https://visitbristol.co.uk/

San Diego...
8 posts
9. Re: 4 night stay- single mom and 5 yr old

Oh I will check The Francis Hotel out! Thank you!!

San Diego...
8 posts
10. Re: 4 night stay- single mom and 5 yr old

We love theater-thank you for those suggestions!

Reply to: 4 night stay- single mom and 5 yr old
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bath
Recent Conversations