We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Town center

florida
Level Contributor
488 posts
9 reviews
Town center

Hello, i am thinking of staying in reading for one week to use as a base. I will be visiting london, oxford, bath, and windsor. Considering staying at the premie suites. would that be a good location? Not too far from the train station? Safe area?

Would there be enough to do in the immediate area if we did not fance going anywhere for the day?

Thanks for your help.

18 replies to this topic
Cornwall, United...
Level Contributor
1,677 posts
1. Re: Town center

Reading.

Is dull.

Sorry Reading.

Cornwall, United...
Level Contributor
1,677 posts
2. Re: Town center

And also why when London is so close?

Rutland, UK
Level Contributor
7,536 posts
79 reviews
3. Re: Town center

Staying in Reading to visit London is like eating a grape to see if you like wine.

Guildford, England
Level Contributor
6,026 posts
16 reviews
4. Re: Town center

Really bad idea. Give us your budget in £/GBP and we can try to find a place to stay in London. The commute into London will be a pain after the first time. No chance to go home to rest or change during the day.

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
3,147 posts
225 reviews
5. Re: Town center

Reading is not a good holiday destination. Bad idea 😐

florida
Level Contributor
488 posts
9 reviews
6. Re: Town center

its a lot cheaper than staying in london. I know i could stay at the premier inn on my budget. But i also want to

visit other places as mentioned above.

I am looking for a good base to visit these places, with 30 minutes. I can visit all those places from Reading.

That s the only reason i was considering it.

Thanks for your replys. I did not realize it was that bad.

Greater London...
Level Contributor
1,324 posts
7. Re: Town center

What do you mean by 'safe' The UK is a very safe place compared to the USA

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
3,182 posts
213 reviews
8. Re: Town center

Hi,

Reading isn't at all "bad" if uninspiring as a vacation base in the Thames Valley which is, hopefully, intended.

It's the ease of travel and local interest that requires amendment given your proposed locations to visit.

Using just a map "appreciation" gives Reading as a very reasonable central choice.

Nevertheless, you might find that London is easier as the main transport hub.

Train travel for example is direct to those locations with the exception to the stones where Salisbury is the preferred destination.

Edited: 08 September 2018, 16:26
Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
72,757 posts
476 reviews
9. Re: Town center

Reading has some good points. It's a place with good public transport links for a start. It doesn't take long to get to Oxford or Henley on Thames. Bath is a little further away but still with a saving of at leats half an hour over staying in Central London. There lot sof eateries for all tastes and budgets, so it all depends what you want.

Granted, it's not scenic, but it's practical, and there are some pleasant enough areas like the canalside and Forbury Gardens.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
6,134 posts
124 reviews
10. Re: Town center

The small, centrally-located museum is worth an hour or two of you time:

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Rev…

Of particular interest is the well-displayed replica of the Bayeux Tapestry..

Reply to: Town center
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted