We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for a holiday rental in Woodstock

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Looking for a holiday rental in Woodstock

I like this location for this portion of our trip. It seems to be a nice little town. I came across this listing and was hoping to hear some opinions on this as a quiet base of operations for a few days.

www.ownersdirect.co.uk/england/E4212.htm

Thanks

6 replies to this topic
UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for a holiday rental in Woodstock

Well it looks pretty nice in itself, but whether its suitable as a base of operations depends where you are planning to visit and what you are planning to do :-)

I presume you'd have a car?

Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
2,632 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for a holiday rental in Woodstock

Woodstock is close to being in the middle of England, is extremely pleasant and pretty, has a reasonable range of eating places (mostly overpriced) as well as a reasonable bus service into Oxford and is about 15 mins by car from the northbound M40.

It's got virtually no other public transport, except a half-hourly bus to Chipping Norton, reasonably frequent buses to Witney (which is mostly handsome and has a cinema and fair smattering of chain shops and OK and more reasonable eating places) and intermittent buses to nearby villages of practically zero interest to most foreign tourists. The countryside immediately surrounding it is flat and dull, though it's only about 3 miles from where the landscape starts getting seriously pretty. There are lots of country walks nearby, though a couple of the parking places for some of them have a bad history of car break-ins (look for the tiny glass shards, though the police warning signs are a pretty good clue)

Getting into Oxford by car is a pain, though as a base for car exploration of Middle England, it's fine (but don't underestimate how long journeys are made by our combination of seriously congested roads and camera-enforced 50 mph speed limits on almost all significant non-motorway rural roads). I wouldn't even think of daytrips to anywhere over 100 miles away except in emergencies, though it's surprisingly (if you've been brainwashed by the imbecilic neurosis about driving in London that infects websites like this) easy to drive into London, park and come back - even just (in fact especially just) for the evening.

Mentioned in this post
Woodstock
Woodstock
Oxfordshire, UK
England
England
United Kingdom
Oxford
Oxford
Oxfordshire, UK
Chipping Norton
Chipping Norton
Oxfordshire, UK
London
London
England, UK
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for a holiday rental in Woodstock

Thanks for the replies @joeintheuk LOL I will indeed have a car. @flannerUK you have me a little concerned. I looked at Woodstock as being nice and central as I have plans to visit Bath, Stratford, Salisbury (obligitory Stone Henge drive-by), Worcester, Royston (both to visit friends). I have traveled in the UK before, but this is my first time driving. Being from North America 100 miles doesn't even make me blink. We have 5 days and based upon Google Maps I thought that would be fine. I have heard from others that driving in Oxford (city) or Cambridge is just not a good idea. @flanneruk, thanks for the reminder of the traffic cams I had forgotten that. Obviously I need to do some further reading on driving.

Mentioned in this post
Woodstock
Woodstock
Oxfordshire, UK
Salisbury
Salisbury
Wiltshire, UK
Worcester
Worcester
Worcestershire, UK
Oxford
Oxford
Oxfordshire, UK
Cambridge
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire, UK
Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for a holiday rental in Woodstock

Mark, all of the places you have mentioned are easily accessible from Woodstock as day-trips. If you spend long enough on this forum you will get to know certain posters' idiosyncracies and some, without pointing any fingers, are prone to present opinion as fact and rather over-egg the pudding. A 100 mile one-way trip, using our actually fairly efficient road system, would typically take around 2 hours if predominantly using the motorways. Indeed, all of the destinations you mention will take less than 2 hours by car from Woodstock. If you want an estimate of the journey times, try Google maps or www.viamichelin.co.uk.

The national speed limit on non-motorway roads is actually 60mph, unless a lower limit is indicated.

However, you will be driving past some very interesting sights to get to where you intend to go; rather than planning a 3 hour drive for every day of your stay, I would plan on visiting some more local sites as well eg the Uffington White Horse, Burford, Blenheim Palace etc, to make your holiday a little more relaxed. If you look at the websites for English Heritage and the National Trust, that will give you a pointer of places nearby to visit

Driving into Oxford is also very straightforward, but parking is expensive for a stay of over 3 hours and limited - there is a good park & ride scheme you can use, or you can check on the parkopedia website for available parking spaces with prices and time restrictions.

One thing I would check is whether that cottage comes with its own parking space, since it appears to be bang in the middle of Woodstock, where on-street parking is likely to be metered. No doubt the owner can tell you where you could park if there is no space outside the cottage.

Mentioned in this post
Woodstock
Woodstock
Oxfordshire, UK
White Horse
White Horse
645 Reviews
Banbury, UK
Burford
Burford
Cotswolds, UK
Blenheim Palace
Blenheim Palace
5,964 Reviews
Woodstock, UK
Oxford
Oxford
Oxfordshire, UK
Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
10,921 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for a holiday rental in Woodstock

The cottage looks great. I love Woodstock and often go for a wander round there. There is a lovely Italian restaurant and we have had nice lunches at Hampers and one of the hotels I think it is called the Kings Arms on the corner. I think it would make a good base.

Mentioned in this post
Woodstock
Woodstock
Oxfordshire, UK
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for a holiday rental in Woodstock

Thanks for the replies. Indeed the cottage does not have parking but Linda was VERY quick to reply to all of my emails and has let me know that there is 23 hour" parking and other parking close by, so it sounds quite managable. @Twigs Oxford, based on my reading it looked like a nice small town...exactly what I want to start this vacation. I will report back on my experience. Thanks again

Mentioned in this post
Oxford
Oxford
Oxfordshire, UK
Reply to: Looking for a holiday rental in Woodstock
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Woodstock