We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day out to the peak district from Manchester.

ireland
Level Contributor
72 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Day out to the peak district from Manchester.

Hi , I would like to travel to either the peak district or a nice miss marpley kind of town for the day, travelling by train from Manchester.

Any suggestions please.

Bambireland

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pollenca, Port de Pollenca
Level Contributor
11,729 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day out to the peak district from Manchester.

This isn't answering your question at all, but I couldn't resist giving you this coincidental information about your seeking a "miss marpley kind of town" on your travels -

On one of the rail lines out of Manchester towards the peak district you will pass through the town of Marple (just before the start of the peak district).

The story goes that Agatha Christie used that when naming her character. There are conflicting explanations. The most common suggests that the name was taken from the railway station in Marple through which Christie passed, with the alternative account that Christie took it from the home of a Marple family who lived at Marple Hall, near her sister Madge's home.

Marple is no longer what you are seeking; I will leave it to others to give good info as to where you should direct your visit.

Edited: 26 August 2010, 20:24
ireland
Level Contributor
72 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day out to the peak district from Manchester.

Thankyou very much for your reply. I found it very interesting. Thankyou.

Bambireland

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,788 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day out to the peak district from Manchester.

I don't really know what you mean by "Miss Marpley" but I'll have a got at helping out

For me the Peak District is all about outdoor pursuits, because that's what I enjoy; but I know not everyone likes running, walking and cycling in the way I do

The rail line from Manchester to Sheffield goes right through the middle of the Peak District so gives pretty decent access. Hathersage might be the best place to try - it's a small attractive country town, there's lots of lovely walking available including easy stuff along the river Derwent or up into the hills if you're feeling more energetic

There's also great hill walking available from Grindleford and Edale stations, but the villages here are much smaller and with fewer facilities

Peak District...
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
261 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day out to the peak district from Manchester.

Ideally you would do this journey by steam train, but the nearest one I can think of is in the Severn valley about 70 miles away.

The most Marpley villages are in the West of England - Agatha Christie had a house at Greenway near Dartmouth, it is her 120th anniversary this year.

pintpot is right, Hathersage is a very good fit from among Derbyshire places, it has some big houses including some with literary connections and as pintpot says the right kind of size and atmosphere. You can walk out near the church on a level track. There is good food, including The Plough (perhaps a bit pricey) about a mile south past the station at Leadmill. In town the Walnut Tree has a good atmosphere and menu.

Going south you might try Alderley Edge also by train. It is all along a busy road but there are various shops. I had a reasonable lunch in the pub there once.

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
587 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day out to the peak district from Manchester.

It's not in the Peak District, but Knutsford is an attractive town on the railway line to Chester, full of exclusive shops (well within WAG territory...), narrow streets and pretty backwaters. It was of course the inspiration for Elizabeth Gaskell's 'Cranford' (she lived in the town for some years).

The Peak District towns and villages, lovely though they are, have a 'grittier' feel, being built largely from the local stone (so definitely no 'black and white' cottages, and so on). Also, apart from Buxton (which is well worth a visit, but not at all 'Miss Marpley') and the places along the Manchester - Sheffield line, they are not really directly accessible by train from Manchester.

ireland
Level Contributor
72 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day out to the peak district from Manchester.

Thankyou all very much for taking the time to come up with all your comments and options.

I look forward to visiting the areas you all have mentioned.

Bambireland

7. Re: Day out to the peak district from Manchester.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 February 2011, 05:19
Get answers to your questions about Peak District National...