We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Northampton UK for 3 days?

Oregon
Level Contributor
19 posts
87 reviews
Northampton UK for 3 days?

Is the town worth a visit for 3 days? We like museums, art galleries, historical sights, walking, fish and chips. Thinking of staying at the Premier Inn in the city centre. Any suggestions on alternative towns that are also near to the National Express coach route to Heathrow airport.

Thanks,

Art.

17 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
774 posts
77 reviews
1. Re: Northampton UK for 3 days?

Perhaps someone else might recomend it but Northampton isn't somewhere I'd have considered as a holiday destination for a 3 day visit. Where exactly is your coach leaving from?

Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
9,437 posts
64 reviews
2. Re: Northampton UK for 3 days?

"Is the town worth a visit for 3 days?"

No, not really!

"Any suggestions on alternative towns that are also near to the National Express coach route to Heathrow airport."

That depends where you are starting from.

Sheffield
Level Contributor
5,434 posts
154 reviews
3. Re: Northampton UK for 3 days?

You might like the Basset Lowke house.

Rutland, United...
Level Contributor
7,622 posts
79 reviews
4. Re: Northampton UK for 3 days?

As can be seen from this list, there must be at least 100 towns and cities with direct coach links to Heathrow and I rather think that Northampton would feature in few people’s lists of the top 50. Northampton is a pleasant enough town, in fact I believe it has the distinction of being the largest place in the UK that does not have city status, but it’s cultural scene is not great. To be fair, it does have displays of shoes in its museums being the premier centre for boot and shoe manufacture in GB, but I only live 25 miles away and have very little inclination to visit it, certainly not to spend three days there.

https:/…timetables

Where will you be before heading to Northampton/alternative town? That will strongly influence the recommendations.

Edited: 25 March 2018, 17:53
Rutland, United...
Level Contributor
7,622 posts
79 reviews
5. Re: Northampton UK for 3 days?

That link didn’t properly work. Type Heathrow in the search box.

Autocorrect not me was responsible for the “it’s” abomination!

Cornwall, United...
Level Contributor
1,754 posts
6. Re: Northampton UK for 3 days?

Er...no.

I mean it's okay but not for an entire hour.

Northamptonshire...
Destination Expert
for Bedfordshire, Northamptonshire, Cotswolds
Level Contributor
5,422 posts
1,618 reviews
7. Re: Northampton UK for 3 days?

I was there this morning and whilst the town has a great theatre(the derngate)some excellent parks and good shopping,it is not worth a 3 day visit.

Buckingham, United...
Destination Expert
for Buckinghamshire, Somme, Winchester
Level Contributor
2,376 posts
2,127 reviews
8. Re: Northampton UK for 3 days?

It is famous as a shoe making town, it's got some good things to do and you could use it as a base to explore locally, it would help to know your interests.

You can get to Milton Keynes and Coventry easily by train, both very different cities. Also close by is Stoke Bruerne, home of the Canal museum, Towcester and its Race Course and Silverstone, home of British Grand Prix.

If you like Football or Rugby, the town has teams which you may get to see if the seasons are still on.

So! You have options if Northampton is your chosen place.

Northamptonshire...
Destination Expert
for Bedfordshire, Northamptonshire, Cotswolds
Level Contributor
5,422 posts
1,618 reviews
9. Re: Northampton UK for 3 days?

Oregon....where are you starting from?

Oregon
Level Contributor
19 posts
87 reviews
10. Re: Northampton UK for 3 days?

Thanks for the replies, very helpful, we decided to stop off at Leicester for 3 days instead, on the Derby to Heathrow Airport return trip.

Reply to: Northampton UK for 3 days?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Northampton