We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Floods in York 27 November 2012

Perthshire Scotland
Level Contributor
92 posts
32 reviews
Floods in York 27 November 2012

Saw the flooded streets in York on the TV this morning. We're due to travel to York- travelling down from Scotland, staying at the Premier Inn this coming weekend. Any problems there with flooding. Thanks for any information. Lizzie

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
100 posts
73 reviews
1. Re: Floods in York 27 November 2012

Very unlikely, but there are many Premier Inns in York! If you mean Blossom Street they are well above the river.

The only area of York that suffers from flooding is immediately alongside the river, which is in a small valley, the town centre, Micklegate etc are all up hill. Scenes of York flooded on the outskirts is the deliberate use of Ings (and racecourse) as temporary lagoons. York has a good and expensive flood defense scheme.

Perthshire Scotland
Level Contributor
92 posts
32 reviews
2. Re: Floods in York 27 November 2012

Thanks Paul, that was very helpful. It's Blossom Street we're staying at. Lizzie

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,836 posts
111 reviews
3. Re: Floods in York 27 November 2012

it took my husband 10 hours on the train yesterday to get from London -Edinburgh (in stead of less than 5) because of flooding on the railway line near York

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
100 posts
73 reviews
4. Re: Floods in York 27 November 2012

It is a noticeable uphill walk from the river to Micklegate Bar, and the Blossom Street Premier Inns are on the opposite corner.

Edited: 27 November 2012, 15:35
york
Level Contributor
748 posts
34 reviews
5. Re: Floods in York 27 November 2012

there was problems on the railway line at durham this morning - you couldn't get from newcastle to york and i presume edinburgh to york as well as its the same line, not sure if its fixed now.

the only areas of york centre that are flooded are kings staith and skeldergate. apart from that york is, as usual open for business. we have excellent flood defences that have done their work marvellously

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
34,885 posts
6. Re: Floods in York 27 November 2012

< you couldn't get from newcastle to york and i presume edinburgh to york as well as its the same line, not sure if its fixed now. >

Flooding to the south of Darlington which means trains can only travel at 5mph. North of Darlington they've had problems with the overhead lines due to a landslip

Norwich, United...
1 post
7. Re: Floods in York 27 November 2012

having lived in york for thirty odd years dont worry about it its a small part along the river side the rest is dry and should york ever be underwater so will most of the rest of england,go and enjoy a city with much to offer,I always smile when i see the york flooding it makes good tv but bares no reality

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
34,885 posts
8. Re: Floods in York 27 November 2012

Never affects York house prices

guardian.co.uk/housing-network/2012/nov/20/n…

York
1 post
2 reviews
9. Re: Floods in York 27 November 2012

You will be fine in Blossom Street. The floods subside quickly as well. Due to peak tomorrow so should be fine by weekend.

Enjoy York.

Perthshire Scotland
Level Contributor
92 posts
32 reviews
10. Re: Floods in York 27 November 2012

Thanks everyone for your replies. We're travelling down by car for the Christmas Market (St Nicholas Fayre) weekend, so hope that's still going ahead.