We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel has asked me to cancel - what are my rights?

Manchester
Level Contributor
41 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel has asked me to cancel - what are my rights?

Hi, I booked a double room in a hotel in York for 2 nights on 17th Nov. I booked through Hotels.com and used my free reward nights and paid the balance in full on Oct 19th. I have the email confirming that the booking is guaranteed and paid for.

The hotel has emailed me today to say that an error in their booking system means that my booking didn't go through properly and they have no availability. The have asked me to cancel the booking myself (I have free cancellation until 14th Nov).

I thought that the hotel had a duty to arrange alternative accommodation at the same cost and cover additional costs for transport etc. Is that right? York is now pretty full and prices have rocketed so I can't find anywhere else.

I'm very annoyed with them.

Thanks in advance

Mentioned in this post
York
York
North Yorkshire, UK
20 replies to this topic
UK
Level Contributor
8,437 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Hotel has asked me to cancel - what are my rights?

It sounds dodgy to me.

"Oh no, we didn't cancel - the customer did".

I'd stand my ground. Contact hotels.com and tell them what's going on.

Some years ago I booked a hotel through a booking agent (I think it was booking.com) and ended up cancelling at the last minute because of a train strike. As part of the cancellation process I was asked whether or not the hotel had pressurised me into cancelling - which makes me think that this is a known issue.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
67,830 posts
460 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Hotel has asked me to cancel - what are my rights?

This just doesn't sound or feel right to me. As a suspicious and cynical person, I can't help but think that the hotel is doing this to gain some benefit for themselves. I hope you can get to the bottom of it somehow, Chris.

London
Destination Expert
for London, Devon
Level Contributor
23,349 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Hotel has asked me to cancel - what are my rights?

No, you absolutely insist that the hotel cancels.

I suspect they are trying to avoid a cancellation fee - and if you cancel, you could get saddled with it.

Cheltenham, United...
Destination Expert
for Cotswolds
Level Contributor
2,988 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Hotel has asked me to cancel - what are my rights?

<<The hotel has emailed me today to say that an error in their booking system means that my booking didn't go through properly and they have no availability>>

So "their booking system" not hotels.com. They did receive a booking, their problem, but of course your problem is getting a co-operative response in order to undertake your trip. Was a credit card payment involved (a complication with "rewards"?) - although my experience is negative with this route, my first post to TA was asking for help in the reverse position (ie accommodation claiming I'd made a booking via agency), never resolved and had to write it off.

Good luck,

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,604 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Hotel has asked me to cancel - what are my rights?

They are asking you to cancel most probably because if they cancelled, they would not only be breaking their contract with you but also with Hotels.com. Hotels don't want to fall foul of the big booking companies because they are so dependent on them for bookings. It is important that Hotels.com are notified of this as soon as possible. You could also tell the hotel you are doing that. Their attitude might change.

Manchester
Level Contributor
41 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Hotel has asked me to cancel - what are my rights?

I contacted Hotels.com and they have been very helpful. They asked for a copy of the email from the hotel, then they tried to contact the hotel but never did manage to get through. So this afternoon they have moved the booking to another hotel, and covered the extra cost themselves. It's a better hotel so I'm very happy with the outcome.

The original hotel was Burton Villa Guest House - I did ring them after hotels.com had sorted everything, and they confirmed that there was no availability next weekend. I told them that I was very unhappy that they had asked me to cancel and the guy I spoke to acknowledged that they should not have done this and offered me a discount next time. Obviously there won't be a next time.

So it seems that hotels.com take responsibility in this situation - they were great.

Thank you all for your help

Edited: 12 November 2017, 17:56
Mentioned in this post
Burton Villa Guest House
Burton Villa Guest House
210 Reviews
York, UK
Bristol, England
Level Contributor
2,500 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Hotel has asked me to cancel - what are my rights?

Glad it worked out well for you.

Cobham, United...
Level Contributor
1,293 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Hotel has asked me to cancel - what are my rights?

Good result. Well done you, and Hotels.com

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
67,830 posts
460 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Hotel has asked me to cancel - what are my rights?

This establishment clearly messed up somehow and it would put me off from using them. Still, I don't see what else they could do, realistically, apart from apologise and offer something off a future stay.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
22,750 posts
362 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Hotel has asked me to cancel - what are my rights?

On the hotel Facebook page there is a similar one star complaint from June, although in that case the hotel cancelled the booking.

Reply to: Hotel has asked me to cancel - what are my rights?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted