We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A cosy candlelit country pub for Christmas Day lunch

London, United...
Level Contributor
132 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
A cosy candlelit country pub for Christmas Day lunch

I know Christmas seems a very long way off! My husband and I (no kids) are hoping to visit the Yorkshire Moors/North Yorkshire area for the first time this Christmas and want a very cosy candlelit pub (with log fire of course!!) with lots of atmosphere which serves a really great Christmas Day lunch. Any suggestions? All the ones I have looked at on the web don't look like they have much atmosphere. I then need to start the arduous task of finding a cosy cottage within staggering distance of the pub in which to stay.

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,609 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A cosy candlelit country pub for Christmas Day lunch

I admire your forward planning! We are spoilt for choice up here, but these are 3 of our favourites -

Have a look at the Black Swan at Oldstead - and you won't need to find a cottage as you can just stagger upstairs to one of their four posters.

http://blackswanoldstead.co.uk/

Really lovely area too, if you fancy a long walk on Boxing Day to clear your head.

We also love the Yorke Arms (, Nidderdale, North Yorkshire Dales) but this is a 'restaurant with rooms' as opposed to a pub. They do a fabulous breakfast too if you are staying over, and then you can settle in the resident's lounge in front of a blazing fire. Again a great walking area, with walks from the door in all directions.

www.yorke-arms.co.uk

Lastly, the Tempest Arms is getting rave reviews - again you could stay in the pub if you wished.

http://www.tempestarms.co.uk/

Hope this kicks off some research.

Gloucestershire
Level Contributor
177 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A cosy candlelit country pub for Christmas Day lunch

The Tempest is gorgeous at Christmas!! It's many years since I ws there but I still remember how cosy and festive it was.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
2,499 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A cosy candlelit country pub for Christmas Day lunch

Hi Gill,

A lot depends on your budget too!! For example, the Black Swan in Oldstead is not cheap, neither would I really call it 'cosy', but it does great food and has 4 fantastic rooms.

The problem I have found at Christmas is all the best places get booked up, therefore are usually packed to the rafters, which tends to make them less cosy.

I have lots of 'favourite' pubs in the area! The Board Inn in Lealholm, The Lion Inn on Blakey Ridge, The Green Dragon at Hardraw Force, which is one of the most characterful pubs I know of! just not sure what they are like on Christmas Day?

North Yorkshire is a huge area so perhaps decide where you want to be, then go from there?

I also agree with Mrs Ding that the Tempest Arms is good, but again, will be busy at Christmas.

Probably no help whatsoever!! LOL

Jerry...

London, United...
Level Contributor
132 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A cosy candlelit country pub for Christmas Day lunch

Thanks everyone

London, United...
Level Contributor
132 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A cosy candlelit country pub for Christmas Day lunch

Hi Jerry

I have booked us in to the Board Inn on the Moors for Christmas day lunch! And found a cottage to stay in round the corner! Thanks for this.

Gill

6. Re: A cosy candlelit country pub for Christmas Day lunch

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 May 2013, 10:31