We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London to Prague, Vienna, Budapest, then London

Vancouver, Canada
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
London to Prague, Vienna, Budapest, then London

To all the Europse experts!

In September, our group of 8 adults would like to use 10 days to visit Prague, Vienna, Budapest after we get off of our cruise ship in London. By the end of the 10 days, we need to get back to London to catch our flight.

What are the most affordable way to travel to each country? In what order? And if we'd like to see major tourist sites in each city, how should we divide up the 10 days?

London--> Prague/Vienna/Budapest (in any order)--> London

Thanks for your reply :)

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,621 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London to Prague, Vienna, Budapest, then London

Since time will be limited and since you might plan to travel with cruise amounts of luggage (more than 15 kg per person), low cost air carriers may not be cost-effective for some journeys.

BA are having a sale until this Tuesday, the 16th. Look to fly from LHR to PRG, travel by rail to Budapest and from there to Vienna, then fly from VIE back to LHR.

http://www.cd.cz/en/ http://www.oebb.at/en/ Both Czech and Austrian railways websites have English language pages; tickets should be on sale now for travel in September so book soon after you decide an itinerary, which may (to some extent) depend on rail and airline timetables.

If you're flying back to YVR from Gatwick and not Heathrow and if you'll travel light, consider easyJet from VIE or BUD to Gatwick. Before booking with EZ please make a dummy booking to obtain the full cost of tickets, including administration fees and fees for checked bags.

Vancouver, Canada
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: London to Prague, Vienna, Budapest, then London

Thanks for your prompt reply!

You are correct, each of us has at least one checked luggage.

I see that on BA, one-way fare from LHR to PRG is 90Euro.

And from easyJet from VIE to Gatwick it's approx 72Euro

Is that considering cost-effective to travel from London to other countries (what bout by rail and other transportation)?

FYI, we are leaving from Gatwick back to Vancouver on Sept.30 (Sunday) morning.

Thanks again for your helpful advice!

Joyce

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
38,405 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London to Prague, Vienna, Budapest, then London

If you can get BA for that price then snap it up. From Prague to Vienna or Budapest you can get a train or bus. Best to ask on the Prague forum.

Three days in each city is plenty of time. I would make sure that you got back to London the day before your flight back just in case so 9 days divides up nicely.

Where is your cruise dropping you, Southampton, Dover??

Vancouver, Canada
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: London to Prague, Vienna, Budapest, then London

My cruise drops us off at Southampton

I just checked the rail website. It says it will take 10+ hours and over 100 Euro to travel from London to V/B/P. I guess air is the most cost-effective way to go?

Cheers,

Joyce

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,621 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London to Prague, Vienna, Budapest, then London

With eight travellers, book a car service from Southampton to Heathrow and as Ronaldo said, snap up that fare from LHR to PRG. Check the Southampton forum for car services that can take you from the cruise ship dock to the airport; you will need an MPV for eight people plus luggage.

The easyJet base fare from VIE to LGW may be 72 euro, but add to that the booking fee per person (for credit card payments) and 18 euro per person for a checked bag (which may weigh no more than 20 kg); a 23kg bag will cost 27 euro. EZ also allow *one* piece of hand baggage, not one piece and a personal item.

It may be cheaper all around to fly with BA from VIE to LHR and add in the cost of transport from that airport to Gatwick. Again, if you fly to Heathrow you'll need to book a car service for the journey between airports.

I agree with Ronaldo, fly back the day before your flight to YVR departs.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
26,531 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: London to Prague, Vienna, Budapest, then London

For train travel in Europe.

www.seat61.com

Vancouver, Canada
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: London to Prague, Vienna, Budapest, then London

Booked my tickets thanks to all your help!! Thank you thank you!!

Arrive to Budapest on Sept 21 night

Leave from Vienna on Sept 29 night.

With 8 days of travel time to spare in Budapest, Czech, and Vienna,

How should I distribute my duration of stay in each city? (2 days, 2 days, 3 days)

In other words, which city is worth for us to stay for a 3rd day?

We mainly want to see major tourist sites and would like to travel by ourselves (ie, not hiring a guide due to cost)

We really really appreciate all your helpful replies!

Joyce

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,129 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: London to Prague, Vienna, Budapest, then London

I would spend the extra day in Vienna but all 3 have their own charms. A guide is not neccesary in any of the cities, Vienna especially is very easy for English speakers.

9. Re: London to Prague, Vienna, Budapest, then London

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 August 2014, 07:18