We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling from Sheffield by train to Dublin, Ireland

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling from Sheffield by train to Dublin, Ireland

Hello:

How easy or difficult is it to travel by train from Sheffield to Dublin? How long is the trip? At the end of my UK vacation, I would like to go to Dublin, Ireland. Any suggestion? I would also appreciate getting an estimate of the cost of the trip. I am 62; daughter is 31, both of us active to enjoy the train ride.

I will read all recommendations, and then make a decision. Thank you.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
25,632 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling from Sheffield by train to Dublin, Ireland

www.seat61.com

Sheffield
Level Contributor
4,387 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling from Sheffield by train to Dublin, Ireland

It's a bit of a faff. Have you dismissed flying from Robin Hood Airport, Doncaster to Dublin?

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,081 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling from Sheffield by train to Dublin, Ireland

There's a sea between Sheffield & Dublin. That means taking a ferry as well as multiple trains and as a result you will be spending a day just travelling

If you are really interested in doing so - though goodness knows why - then look at the following

http://www.arrivatrainswales.co.uk/sailrail/

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling from Sheffield by train to Dublin, Ireland

Rail and sail is a nice way to travel IMO, but then I love boats. The train ride along the N wales coast is spectacular. At least with rail and sail you are on the move most of the time, not sitting around in an airport.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
37,311 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling from Sheffield by train to Dublin, Ireland

If you want to make the journey as part of your trip then go for it. It will take over 9 hours though via Holyhead using the service Alanrow linked you to.

You can fly from Leeds Bradford or Manchester.

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
7,923 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling from Sheffield by train to Dublin, Ireland

Go to www.arrivatrainswales.co.uk and book to Dublin Port (Irish Ferries) or Dublin Port (Stena)

Sheffield to Dublin costs £34 in advance, £39 on the day or if the advance fares have sold out.

That price covers train to Holyhead and the ferry to Dublin, all on one ticket, and yes, it's a nice way to go, very scenic all along the north Wales coast past Conway Castle and onto Anglesey.

7. Re: Travelling from Sheffield by train to Dublin, Ireland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 April 2014, 05:18