We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus and Underground Fares from 2nd January 2013

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
20,046 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Bus and Underground Fares from 2nd January 2013

Single fares, one-day and period travelcards in London will be increasing from 2nd January 2013, by an average of 4.2%

Here are some of the more popular fares (from a TA point of view!) from 2nd January 2013:

Zone 1-2 travelcard:

£8.80 1-day peak (up 40p);

£7.30 1-day off-peak (up 30p);

£30.40 7-days (up £1.20).

Child 1-day travelcard £3.40 (up 20p).

Single zone 1 Underground ticket:

£2.10 using pay-as-you-go Oyster (up 10p),

£4.50 cash (up 20p)

Single Underground journey from Heathrow Airport to Central London (any zone 1 station):

£5.00 peak (up 20p) or £3.00 off-peak using pay-as-you-go Oyster; £5.50 cash at all times(up 20p).

One-day Travelcard from Heathrow Airport to Central London (zones 1-6):

£16.40 peak (up 80p) or £8.90 off-peak (up 40p)

Single bus journey: £1.40 pay-as-you-go (up 5p);

Daily cap £4.40 (up 20p);

7-day bus & tram pass £19.60 (up 80p).

Single bus journey paying cash: £2.40 (up 10p).

Pay-as-you-go Oyster will continue to be capped daily at the equivalent of a one-day travelcard.

Nijmegen...
Level Contributor
3,430 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus and Underground Fares from 2nd January 2013

Also the prices of Barclays bike hire('boris bikes) will cost two pounds to rent and membership prices double

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,519 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus and Underground Fares from 2nd January 2013

>> Pay-as-you-go Oyster will continue to be capped daily at the equivalent of a one-day travelcard. <<

Actually, the Oyster PAYG Daily Cap remains at 2012 levels. Which means that the Daily Cap will be LESS than the equivalent one day travelcard.

Tables 1.3 and 1.3a - tfl.gov.uk/assets/…TfL_fares_2013.pdf

london
Level Contributor
2,318 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus and Underground Fares from 2nd January 2013

Looks like they are trying to wean people off paper one-day travelcards.

Perhaps they will double the price next year.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,605 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus and Underground Fares from 2nd January 2013

I think TfL would very much like to stop selling one day paper Travelcards; I doubt that single tickets will go off sale as there will always be a call for them.

TfL have encouraged Oyster use for years. Bus ticket machines have notices on them saying (I paraphrase) it's cheaper to use Oyster cards than pay cash single fares, and yet a great many people do still buy single bus (and Underground) tickets.

One edit to wirewiper's very useful original post; the cash single fare from zone 6 to zone 1 will rise from £5.30 to £5.50 from 2 January.

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
1,830 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus and Underground Fares from 2nd January 2013

I have looked at various sites tying to get a price of a single tube ticket but with no joy

I will be travelling one stop from Clapham South to Balham, which crosses from zone 2 into zone 3. Can anyone advise the fare or a decent website to get the fare

Thanks

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
1,073 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus and Underground Fares from 2nd January 2013

TfL's website have all the fares clearly stated:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/14416.aspx

London
Level Contributor
840 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Bus and Underground Fares from 2nd January 2013

No need to worry, they would also have told you when you were buying the ticket;-)

If you are likely to be making other journeys, it would pay you to get a pay-as-you-go Oyster card. Fares are up to half the price that way.

If you really do want a single fare, consider a bus, which would be £2.40 single cash fare..

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,519 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bus and Underground Fares from 2nd January 2013

>> I have looked at various sites tying to get a price of a single tube ticket but with no joy ..... I will be travelling one stop from Clapham South to Balham, which crosses from zone 2 into zone 3. <<

There's absolutely no point in taking the tube for that journey. (a) Unless you're carrying luggage it's walkable in about 12 minutes, and even then (b) you can take one of three buses from Clapham South station (155, 249 or 355 from stop SD) to Balham station in 4 minutes. In all likelihood the bus would have got you to Balham before you boarded a Northern line train at Clapham South. The cash bus fare is £2.40 and if on Oyster it's £1.40.

tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/…claphamsouth-a4.pdf

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
1,830 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bus and Underground Fares from 2nd January 2013

Thanks for the replies. Its only a one off journey whilst I am in London for a few days, so Oyster card not necessary

10. Re: Bus and Underground Fares from 2nd January 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 June 2014, 06:17