We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London during the Olympics

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
London during the Olympics

Looking at a flight from Lisbon to Australia which passes through London during the middle of the Olympics. There is an 11 hour layover.

Usually I would avoid such a flight like the plague, but given the timing think it could be fun to go through immigration and spend the afternoon in London to catch some Olympic spirit.

Is it doable? Would you do it?

Flight arrives at 11.00am, and onward flight departs at 10.30pm.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,599 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London during the Olympics

There are a few things to keep in mind before making plans for your excursion.

If you're flying with BA from LIS your flight will arrive at T3. If your onward flight is with BA then your bags will be checked through, but if you're on a separate ticket or flying with an airline that doesn't interline bags with BA then you'll need to collect them and store them at left luggage at the departure terminal building.

Allow about an hour for passport control and the walk to the Underground station. If all goes well you could alight from a District line train at Westminster at 1300; if you wanted to travel further east to the Stratford site then you might manage an arrival at about 1330 - 1400.

Depending on what you would like to see and do in London you'll need to ensure you're back at Heathrow no later than 2000, especially if you need to collect and recheck bags.

That gives you about six hours in the city, if all is well with the Underground on the day.

You will need a one day Travelcard for zones 1 - 6 at a price of £8.50. That Travelcard will take you from and to the airport and to Stratford; you may use it on the Underground, Overground, DLR and London buses.

Melbourne, Australia
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: London during the Olympics

Thankyou! That is really helpful info.

London
Level Contributor
1,472 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: London during the Olympics

Which date are you flying? I'd say it would be worth doing and I know London will cope fine with the visitors so don't worry about doom-mongers.

I wouldn't bother going over to Stratford though, I think stick to the area around Westminster, Traf Square, Hyde Park etc. London will be "dressed" for the Olympics and will have big screens showing the action. Plus there will be lots of additional cultural attractions many of whcih will be free.

1060 W Addison...
Level Contributor
10,155 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London during the Olympics

One of the best places to enjoy the "Olympic Spirit" wil be at the Live Site set up in Hyde Park. http://www.btlondonlive.com/hyde-park

I'll let the London experts handle the transportation advice, but I would think this would be one of times when taking a train to Paddington would make a lot of sense

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
17 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London during the Olympics

We are going to the first week of the Olympics and would like to take a day tour to Windsor. Can someone recommend a good tour company. There are so many to choose from. Should we book this in advance of the trip or once we get to London?

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London during the Olympics

You don't need a tour company to go to Windsor, just take the train its very easy and will be far cheaper ( and will probably be quicker as well, plus letting you spend as long or as little as you want there rather than being set to a fixed time)

Look in the Windsor forum tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g186419-i1323-Wi… or search for Windsor in the London forum this is frequently discussed and thousands do it with no issues.

Edited: 18 June 2012, 07:32
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
17 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: London during the Olympics

How about Stonehenge and Oxford? Are they doable without a tour company as well?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,689 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: London during the Olympics

Oxford is easily doable without a tour company. Catch a train from Paddington station. You can easily join a walking tour when you get there. Going on your own you can explore Oxford and then leave when you are ready to leave and not when the tour bus has to leave. I have only been to Stonehenge by car, it is probably a bit more difficult to get to without one.

Level Contributor
3,386 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: London during the Olympics

5 its very rude to hijack threads

10. Re: London during the Olympics

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 June 2013, 10:15